Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Rate This FAQ
Laying sod over the tree sprouts will not solve this problem. There is no really good solution to this problem.
You could sever the roots that are growing into your lawn by trenching along your side of the fence. Most of the roots will be within the top 12 to 18 inches of soil. Then you could put some type of root barrier along the trench wall, like sheetmetal or plastic sheeting. This will help prevent or at least slow down the growth of tree roots into your yard from their trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- I have large steep slop in my backyard. I would like to plant a ground cover from seed. Is this possible. If so what kind would be best to keep weeds and bay, grow quickly and look appealing? I was wonder if Vinca Major or St johns wart would work? Thanks for your time Milt
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?