Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Rate This FAQ
Laying sod over the tree sprouts will not solve this problem. There is no really good solution to this problem.
You could sever the roots that are growing into your lawn by trenching along your side of the fence. Most of the roots will be within the top 12 to 18 inches of soil. Then you could put some type of root barrier along the trench wall, like sheetmetal or plastic sheeting. This will help prevent or at least slow down the growth of tree roots into your yard from their trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have tall thin Junipers in my backyard. They resemble a Hollywood Juniper but I am not sure of their species. They are 25 years old and have begun to look like they are dying, the needles are turning brown and falling off. Is there anything I can do to save them?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- We have a lot of scrub oak around our home. In some spots we have some ground cover and other area are bare. We would like to add a nice ground cover to mix in with the oak in these bare areas. Do you have suggestions for ground cover? Also, in one particular area, we have a large amount of grass growing in the ground cover surrounding the scrub oak. What is the best way to get rid of this grass? Is there a ground cover that can overtake the grass?
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- Due to the dry season, the weeds are overtaking our lawn. Besides watering, is there a weed killer I can apply when it is so hot? Is there a fertilizer or food that would help it?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??