Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Rate This FAQ
Laying sod over the tree sprouts will not solve this problem. There is no really good solution to this problem.
You could sever the roots that are growing into your lawn by trenching along your side of the fence. Most of the roots will be within the top 12 to 18 inches of soil. Then you could put some type of root barrier along the trench wall, like sheetmetal or plastic sheeting. This will help prevent or at least slow down the growth of tree roots into your yard from their trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a son that lives in west Eagle Mt. We Put in sod for a lawn about two years ago and for two seasons it did great. Half of it is now dead and the other half is struggling. Prior to putting down sod, the ground was thoroughly tilled and lots of compost material was added (the kind that is made available in some green recycling yards and mixed with treated effluent from the sewage treatment plant.) Nitrogen was also added to the soil and the lawn was watered regularly. What has happened and what can I do to get a good lawn here?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?