Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
Rate This FAQ
There are cold hardy annuals – they could have been planted out as early as mid-March, so long as they were acclimated and protected from a possible hard freeze.
Half-hardy annuals may be planted out one or two weeks before the average last frost (May 19 at the Salt Lake City airport) but must be protected from frost (cover with a frost cloth on cold, clear nights). Some of these can tolerate light frost if they are acclimated – when recent temperatures have been chilly.
Tender annuals are very susceptible to frost damage and should not be planted out until after all chance of frost is past. Watch the weather forecasts during late May – if a cold front may move in you should wait until it passes.
Here is a link to a webpage with more good information about this topic, including plant names in each group. http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/annuals/text/types.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?
- How can I stay on top of yard and garden problems?
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
- How do I protect my zukes and cukes from the annual onslaught of squash bugs?
- You have some history on the popularity of apples?