Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
Rate This FAQ
There are cold hardy annuals – they could have been planted out as early as mid-March, so long as they were acclimated and protected from a possible hard freeze.
Half-hardy annuals may be planted out one or two weeks before the average last frost (May 19 at the Salt Lake City airport) but must be protected from frost (cover with a frost cloth on cold, clear nights). Some of these can tolerate light frost if they are acclimated – when recent temperatures have been chilly.
Tender annuals are very susceptible to frost damage and should not be planted out until after all chance of frost is past. Watch the weather forecasts during late May – if a cold front may move in you should wait until it passes.
Here is a link to a webpage with more good information about this topic, including plant names in each group. http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/annuals/text/types.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Putting more color in your landscape
- Is the use of manure safe for the vegetable garden?
- When can I cut back my tulips and other spring bulbs?
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- How do I get rid of squash bug?
- I have a climbing rose that I love and would like to take a cutting and start a new plant. What is the best way to do that?
- How can I safely dispose of excess pesticides, including herbicides?
- When should apple trees be sprayed and how should we go about it. Is there someone in Utah Co. who will come and do it. We have a golden apple tree that produces big, good apples when taken care of.