Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
Rate This FAQ
There are cold hardy annuals – they could have been planted out as early as mid-March, so long as they were acclimated and protected from a possible hard freeze.
Half-hardy annuals may be planted out one or two weeks before the average last frost (May 19 at the Salt Lake City airport) but must be protected from frost (cover with a frost cloth on cold, clear nights). Some of these can tolerate light frost if they are acclimated – when recent temperatures have been chilly.
Tender annuals are very susceptible to frost damage and should not be planted out until after all chance of frost is past. Watch the weather forecasts during late May – if a cold front may move in you should wait until it passes.
Here is a link to a webpage with more good information about this topic, including plant names in each group. http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/annuals/text/types.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- Are pine needles a good top mulch or addition to my compost pile? Others have said pine needles are poisonous. I live in Washington Terrace and my soil is sandy by nature.
- In preparing my soil for vegetable gardening, I've added too much chemical fertilizer. I haven't planted anything yet. Is it too late to fix this?
- I have a lot of earwigs and spiders in my garden and flower beds. How can I kill them off without making my bed unsafe to plant vegetables in the future?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?