Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
Rate This FAQ
There are cold hardy annuals – they could have been planted out as early as mid-March, so long as they were acclimated and protected from a possible hard freeze.
Half-hardy annuals may be planted out one or two weeks before the average last frost (May 19 at the Salt Lake City airport) but must be protected from frost (cover with a frost cloth on cold, clear nights). Some of these can tolerate light frost if they are acclimated – when recent temperatures have been chilly.
Tender annuals are very susceptible to frost damage and should not be planted out until after all chance of frost is past. Watch the weather forecasts during late May – if a cold front may move in you should wait until it passes.
Here is a link to a webpage with more good information about this topic, including plant names in each group. http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/annuals/text/types.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I control field bind weed?
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- Are pine needles a good top mulch or addition to my compost pile? Others have said pine needles are poisonous. I live in Washington Terrace and my soil is sandy by nature.
- Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
- In preparing my soil for vegetable gardening, I've added too much chemical fertilizer. I haven't planted anything yet. Is it too late to fix this?
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- I'm wondering if there is a variety of Almond tree that grows well in Davis county. And, are they self-fertile? Can they be grown near nectarines? (I've read that they shouldn't be grown near peaches as they can develop a bitter taste.)
- How do I prune my raspberries?