Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
Rate This FAQ
There are cold hardy annuals – they could have been planted out as early as mid-March, so long as they were acclimated and protected from a possible hard freeze.
Half-hardy annuals may be planted out one or two weeks before the average last frost (May 19 at the Salt Lake City airport) but must be protected from frost (cover with a frost cloth on cold, clear nights). Some of these can tolerate light frost if they are acclimated – when recent temperatures have been chilly.
Tender annuals are very susceptible to frost damage and should not be planted out until after all chance of frost is past. Watch the weather forecasts during late May – if a cold front may move in you should wait until it passes.
Here is a link to a webpage with more good information about this topic, including plant names in each group. http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/annuals/text/types.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why do my tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom?
- What are some good perennials that flower all summer and do well in Utah?
- When do I harvest my pumpkins or squash?
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- I still have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine but it looks like frost is getting the better of them (the vines, not the fruit yet) the past few nights. I plan on using the tomatoes for Chili Sauce. If I pick the green tomatoes are they going to ripen inside? Is there a better way to get them ripened to use for chili sauce?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- How many ears of corn grow on one stalk?