Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Dayton,Id. I seem to have a lot of trouble with blossom end rot on my tomatoes. What could I be doing wrong? To much water not enough or wrong fertilizer? Need suggestions.
Rate This FAQ
Blossom end rot results when not enough calcium moves into the just-developing fruit. Any environmental condition that slows down transpiration will slow water and nutrient flow from roots to leaves and fruit. Here are some such environmental conditions:
- cool, cloudy weather
- root rot (water-logged soil)
- root damage (can happen during transplanting)
Some varieties of tomato are less susceptible to BER; try growing a few different varieties and notice which ones get it less. Then plant that variety (along with a few new varieties) next year. Eventually you will find your favorite.
Deep, rich soil will allow you to keep the soil moisture more consistent. Healthy soil has excellent soil structure so that the roots can access both water and air at the same time. If your soil is poor, BER will be more of a problem for you. If your soil is shallow, raise the row or bed to allow for good drainage and root aeration.
Here's a link to more information about Blossom End Rot: http://utahpests.usu.edu/plantdiseases/htm/vegetable/blossomrot
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- What is the shelf life of fertilizer? I have some bags that have been stored in an outside shed and wondered whether they can be used or should be discarded.
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- How much sunlight do my raspberries need?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.