Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
Rate This FAQ
It's true that most apple varieties need to cross-pollinate for good fruit set. There are a few cultivars that are self-fruitful. If the label or catalog description doesn't mention that the tree is self-fruitful or self-pollinating, plant another cultivar to be sure you have good fruit set.
You can find a chart that lists several apple varieties and which other varieties they will successfully cross-pollinate with at:
Most tree fruit catalogs suggest pollinator varieties or show a table with compatible pollinator varieties listed.
If you have room for only one tree, you could buy an apple tree that has a different variety grafted onto it for pollination. Crabapple trees may suffice if they are close enough. Or you can find a friend with a pollinator cultivar blooming at the same time as your apple tree, cut out a branch, and hang it in your tree in a container of water (to keep the flowers fresh longer). If bees are active that day, this may provide enough different pollen for good fruit set.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- Do I have borers in my peach trees?
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?