Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
Rate This FAQ
It's true that most apple varieties need to cross-pollinate for good fruit set. There are a few cultivars that are self-fruitful. If the label or catalog description doesn't mention that the tree is self-fruitful or self-pollinating, plant another cultivar to be sure you have good fruit set.
You can find a chart that lists several apple varieties and which other varieties they will successfully cross-pollinate with at:
Most tree fruit catalogs suggest pollinator varieties or show a table with compatible pollinator varieties listed.
If you have room for only one tree, you could buy an apple tree that has a different variety grafted onto it for pollination. Crabapple trees may suffice if they are close enough. Or you can find a friend with a pollinator cultivar blooming at the same time as your apple tree, cut out a branch, and hang it in your tree in a container of water (to keep the flowers fresh longer). If bees are active that day, this may provide enough different pollen for good fruit set.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- We bought an apple tree to plant on arbor day,but still haven't got to planting it. I've tried to keep it watered and in the sun, but the poor thing is struggling. The leaves appear to be dying on the ends. Will it still survive if we get it in the ground? Also can it be planted in an area that gets a lot of water? It is a Braeburn tree.
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- What dwarf nectarine (or semi-dwarf) will grow well in SL County (on the East Bench)? Also, how much space will it need when fully mature?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?