Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
Rate This FAQ
Preemergent herbicides will work only as the weed seed is germinating and emerging out of the soil. If you see oxalis already growing in your lawn, use a postemergent herbicide.
Oxalis is usually growing at the lawn edge or where soil is bare. Keep your lawn healthy and vigorous and it will out-compete oxalis.
Oxalis also seems to grow where lawns have become increasingly shaded by trees that are growing larger in the yard. Once the oxalis is eliminated, overseed that lawn area with a shade tolerant grass seed so that the oxalis won't re-infest that area.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/HG508.pdf) recommends preemergent herbicides containing isoxaben or pendimethalin for good preemergent control of oxalis.
Postemergent herbicides containing the active ingredients 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba will control oxalis after it is already growing. Herbicides containing triclopyr and clopyralid also provide good postemergent control.
Recommendations for shade-tolerant turfgrass cultivars is available in the USU Extension publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- How can I conserve water and still have a nice lawn?
- Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.
- What is anthracnose?