Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
Rate This FAQ
Preemergent herbicides will work only as the weed seed is germinating and emerging out of the soil. If you see oxalis already growing in your lawn, use a postemergent herbicide.
Oxalis is usually growing at the lawn edge or where soil is bare. Keep your lawn healthy and vigorous and it will out-compete oxalis.
Oxalis also seems to grow where lawns have become increasingly shaded by trees that are growing larger in the yard. Once the oxalis is eliminated, overseed that lawn area with a shade tolerant grass seed so that the oxalis won't re-infest that area.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/HG508.pdf) recommends preemergent herbicides containing isoxaben or pendimethalin for good preemergent control of oxalis.
Postemergent herbicides containing the active ingredients 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba will control oxalis after it is already growing. Herbicides containing triclopyr and clopyralid also provide good postemergent control.
Recommendations for shade-tolerant turfgrass cultivars is available in the USU Extension publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- I live at an elevation of 6000ft. I am West of Cedar City in the mountains. I would like to know, what is the best low water and high traffic grass I should plant. I would like the type of grass that will stay green as early and as long as possible as well. Thank You Also, any good shade varieties?
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- How do I kill gophers in my lawn?
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- I saw a small, dark green, spruce tree planted next to the corner of a home in a nearby neighborhood. Are their dwarf varieties of this tree? It is not an dwarf Alberta Spuce- I have already verified this. If so, what are they called. I would like to find one for my yard.
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?