Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
Rate This FAQ
Preemergent herbicides will work only as the weed seed is germinating and emerging out of the soil. If you see oxalis already growing in your lawn, use a postemergent herbicide.
Oxalis is usually growing at the lawn edge or where soil is bare. Keep your lawn healthy and vigorous and it will out-compete oxalis.
Oxalis also seems to grow where lawns have become increasingly shaded by trees that are growing larger in the yard. Once the oxalis is eliminated, overseed that lawn area with a shade tolerant grass seed so that the oxalis won't re-infest that area.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/HG508.pdf) recommends preemergent herbicides containing isoxaben or pendimethalin for good preemergent control of oxalis.
Postemergent herbicides containing the active ingredients 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba will control oxalis after it is already growing. Herbicides containing triclopyr and clopyralid also provide good postemergent control.
Recommendations for shade-tolerant turfgrass cultivars is available in the USU Extension publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?
- I live at an elevation of 6000ft. I am West of Cedar City in the mountains. I would like to know, what is the best low water and high traffic grass I should plant. I would like the type of grass that will stay green as early and as long as possible as well. Thank You Also, any good shade varieties?
- I want to replace a sickly globe willow tree in my front, south-facing, sloping lawn. There are underground utility (water, gas, sewer) and irrigation lines running through the area. What trees would work best in this area?
- Do you have tips on firewise landscaping?
- What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
- We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.