Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
Rate This FAQ
Preemergent herbicides will work only as the weed seed is germinating and emerging out of the soil. If you see oxalis already growing in your lawn, use a postemergent herbicide.
Oxalis is usually growing at the lawn edge or where soil is bare. Keep your lawn healthy and vigorous and it will out-compete oxalis.
Oxalis also seems to grow where lawns have become increasingly shaded by trees that are growing larger in the yard. Once the oxalis is eliminated, overseed that lawn area with a shade tolerant grass seed so that the oxalis won't re-infest that area.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/HG508.pdf) recommends preemergent herbicides containing isoxaben or pendimethalin for good preemergent control of oxalis.
Postemergent herbicides containing the active ingredients 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba will control oxalis after it is already growing. Herbicides containing triclopyr and clopyralid also provide good postemergent control.
Recommendations for shade-tolerant turfgrass cultivars is available in the USU Extension publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I was surprised when I recently spotted a snake in my yard. Aren't they most active in the fall?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?