Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
Rate This FAQ
Preemergent herbicides will work only as the weed seed is germinating and emerging out of the soil. If you see oxalis already growing in your lawn, use a postemergent herbicide.
Oxalis is usually growing at the lawn edge or where soil is bare. Keep your lawn healthy and vigorous and it will out-compete oxalis.
Oxalis also seems to grow where lawns have become increasingly shaded by trees that are growing larger in the yard. Once the oxalis is eliminated, overseed that lawn area with a shade tolerant grass seed so that the oxalis won't re-infest that area.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/HG508.pdf) recommends preemergent herbicides containing isoxaben or pendimethalin for good preemergent control of oxalis.
Postemergent herbicides containing the active ingredients 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba will control oxalis after it is already growing. Herbicides containing triclopyr and clopyralid also provide good postemergent control.
Recommendations for shade-tolerant turfgrass cultivars is available in the USU Extension publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?