Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
Rate This FAQ
The best "cure" for fungus in turfgrass is prevention. By eliminating fungus's preferred habitat, you will eliminate the disease. All of the suggested cultural practices you mention (infrequent and deeper watering, aeration, and raising the mower deck in summer) are good practices. But there is one critical element you did not mention - thatch.
Thatch is the spongy layer of dead and dying leaf and root tissue layered on top of the soil but beneath the grass blades. If this layer is thicker than one-half inch, it may be allowing fungus to stay protected.
Diagnose your thatch problem by digging out a cross-section slice of lawn. Measure the distance between true soil and growing grass blades. If it is as thick as three-quarter inch, you have a problem.
To decrease thatch, core aerate twice annually. Be sure that the lawn is aerated very well - run the aerator over the same area twice (in two different directions, just as you would fertilize with a drop-spreader). You needn't remove the cores. Aerate in spring and again in late summer or fall.
Are you cycling your irrigation? If you have clay soil under topsoil, irrigate as if the entire soil profile was clay. This assures good water percolation through the root zone.
For more information about Basic Turfgrass Care, see the USU Extension publication with that title at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_517.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- What is a pre-emergent and a post-emergent?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?
- Yesterday I applied "Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control" to my lawn. Unfortunately, I had the drop spreader set incorrectly. As a result I later discovered that I had accidently applied 4-5 times as much fertizer as specified on the bag. Will this damage the lawn? Is there anything I can do to prevent damage?
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.
- What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?