Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in South Jordan. 4 1/2 years ago I started watering my yard with gray water (irrigation) due to the cost of water. Since that time I have lost 6 red twig dogwoods, 7 blue arctic willows,3 spireas, a pine tree and a Japanese maple. Everything else does not look good (other trees, bushes and perennials). In the spring it all starts out green but by June everything has brown edges on yellowing leaves and the trees have several dead branches. Could the gray water be the culprit? Everything was at least 6 years old, lush, and healthy until I changed my water. I am afraid I will lose everything else this summer if I don't find a cure for this. I could you use some answers. Thank you.
Rate This FAQ
I think you're right; water is probably the culprit. When water quality is poor, it's especially important to irrigate properly. Otherwise you may have salts accumulating in the top layers of soil, right where your plants roots live.
To start with, send in a soil sample for testing. Learn how at www.usual.usu.edu
Also, review proper irrigation techniques for trees and shrubs by reading USU Extension's publication "Efficient Irrigation of Trees and Shrubs", at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-523.pdf
You may want to have your irrigation water tested for its quality. You can send a sample to the USU Analytical Labs (same place as the soil test). Again, instructions and forms for the test are avaialable at www.usual.usu.edu
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My lawn is really struggling with the heat and drought. Is there a point when it just won't recover?
- What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- How can I conserve water and still have a nice lawn?
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?
- What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?