Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in South Jordan. 4 1/2 years ago I started watering my yard with gray water (irrigation) due to the cost of water. Since that time I have lost 6 red twig dogwoods, 7 blue arctic willows,3 spireas, a pine tree and a Japanese maple. Everything else does not look good (other trees, bushes and perennials). In the spring it all starts out green but by June everything has brown edges on yellowing leaves and the trees have several dead branches. Could the gray water be the culprit? Everything was at least 6 years old, lush, and healthy until I changed my water. I am afraid I will lose everything else this summer if I don't find a cure for this. I could you use some answers. Thank you.
Rate This FAQ
I think you're right; water is probably the culprit. When water quality is poor, it's especially important to irrigate properly. Otherwise you may have salts accumulating in the top layers of soil, right where your plants roots live.
To start with, send in a soil sample for testing. Learn how at www.usual.usu.edu
Also, review proper irrigation techniques for trees and shrubs by reading USU Extension's publication "Efficient Irrigation of Trees and Shrubs", at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-523.pdf
You may want to have your irrigation water tested for its quality. You can send a sample to the USU Analytical Labs (same place as the soil test). Again, instructions and forms for the test are avaialable at www.usual.usu.edu
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- Why are my cherries wormy?
- What is anthracnose?
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.