Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in South Jordan. 4 1/2 years ago I started watering my yard with gray water (irrigation) due to the cost of water. Since that time I have lost 6 red twig dogwoods, 7 blue arctic willows,3 spireas, a pine tree and a Japanese maple. Everything else does not look good (other trees, bushes and perennials). In the spring it all starts out green but by June everything has brown edges on yellowing leaves and the trees have several dead branches. Could the gray water be the culprit? Everything was at least 6 years old, lush, and healthy until I changed my water. I am afraid I will lose everything else this summer if I don't find a cure for this. I could you use some answers. Thank you.
Rate This FAQ
I think you're right; water is probably the culprit. When water quality is poor, it's especially important to irrigate properly. Otherwise you may have salts accumulating in the top layers of soil, right where your plants roots live.
To start with, send in a soil sample for testing. Learn how at www.usual.usu.edu
Also, review proper irrigation techniques for trees and shrubs by reading USU Extension's publication "Efficient Irrigation of Trees and Shrubs", at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-523.pdf
You may want to have your irrigation water tested for its quality. You can send a sample to the USU Analytical Labs (same place as the soil test). Again, instructions and forms for the test are avaialable at www.usual.usu.edu
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips for making my yard more colorful this spring?
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run