Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
Rate This FAQ
The best time to plant grass in the spring will be April or May depending on
where you are in the state. In St. George, you may be able to plant as
early as March.
In any case, as the weather begins to warm during those months, you are safe
to plant grass seed. A starter fertilizer will be helpful to the grass at
that time and may be applied at a rate of 1 pound per thousand square feet.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- Do you have tips for newly planted trees?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- I have read that one should water infrequently and then water to penetrate 6 to 10 inches especially if one has necrotic ring spot. I live in Sandy where the top soil is only four inches and then sand and rock. Does it make sense to water 6 to 8 inches? Also does necrotic ring spot live in sandy rocky soil? Is it possible to control or eliminate the necrotic ring spot by using a service or must I excavate and if so to what extent?
- Our scrub oak is taking over our view, but efforts to trim have resulted in visible cuts and dead branches near the cuts. Do we need a professional, or can it be done well by a lay person?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- I have a lawn with necrotic ring, it has been treated with f:stop. Question; Future construction will remove much of the sod. Should I treat the soil before I lay new sod.
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?