Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.
Rate This FAQ
I would not recommend planting a fruit tree for the purpose of shade. When fruit trees grow tall, harvest is difficult and pest management is nearly impossible. Therefore, I would recommend that you plant dwarf fruit trees in a full-sun area.
Shade trees are very valuable landscape assets, but select wisely. The USU Extension publication titled "Selecting and Planting Landscape Trees" is available in county Extension offices and online at http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/Select_SelectionandPlanting.htm
This publication is a very useful tool as you go shopping for a tree; you may find one at the nursery that appeals to you but you're not sure how long it will live. This booklet includes that information, plus how fast the tree will grow, whether it produces and drops fruit or seeds, whether it flowers or has good fall color, and much more useful information.
If you would like a shade tree that will produce an edible crop, consider growing a nut tree, like English walnut, butternut, or Chinese chestnut. Nut trees grow tall and have much less pest problems than traditional fruit trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- Do you have tips for newly planted trees?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?