Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like the disease is shot-hole, or Coryneum blight (Wilsonomyces carpophilus). This fungus attacks apricots, peaches and nectarines. Classic symptoms include gummy resin-like material on buds and stems that have been infected. The leaves develop red spots or initial infections that expand into lesions. Eventually, the lesions abscise and fall out creating a shot hole appearance, which is what you are seeing. Lesions can form on buds, stems, and fruit. This pathogen spreads in moist wet conditions.
Homeowner control of this disease is primarily based on cultural management. Prune out all diseased wood in early spring. Continue pruning visible infections during the growing season, but only when the weather is dry to prevent spread. Use a 10% bleach solution to disinfest the pruners after each cut. Remove all infected branches from the property. This will reduce the amount of spores available for infection. Irrigate at ground level to avoid wetting the leaves and branches. This helps to reduce the spread of spores. Limit the amount of nitrogen applied to the tree. Rapid growth promotes fungal development.
If necessary, captan is a contact fungicide that is available for homeowners and can be applied during the growing season starting in spring. Multiple applications may be necessary. Read the label carefully for application instructions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?