Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
Rate This FAQ
In the fall, evergreen trees will shed their inner-most needles. This may look alarming, but it is a natural process. Those inner needles have become shaded out and are no longer a productive part of the tree. If you are seeing more than just the inner needles dropping, or there is a larger than normal amount of shedding, another issue may be at hand.
To keep your spruce healthy, proper watering is imperative. Provide deep watering at long intervals throughout the summer (every two weeks) rather than shallow watering at short intervals. In particular, provide a good watering before the ground freezes and again in winter if it thaws and dries out. Remove sod from the base of the tree out to the branch edge, and cover the area with mulch.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have 30 acres of dry farm high on the west side of cache valley and would like like to cover it with many trees that are likely to survive and will eventually provide shade. What should I plant?
- I am buying a new house in Salt Lake County, and the entire back yard is weeds. I want to put in a garden towards the back and fill in the rest with grass. What is the best way to kill the weeds completely, without killing the new grass and affecting the garden?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?
- I am purchasing a 30 year old home with three large (15+ feet) blue spruce trees growing in the front yard. I would prefer not to cut them down, is it possible to transplant a large blue spruce in Utah? If so, who would do it and who would want them?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- Spotted spurge is taking over my lawn. What can I do now, in these hot August temperatures, to knock back this weed problem?
- What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?