Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
Rate This FAQ
In the fall, evergreen trees will shed their inner-most needles. This may look alarming, but it is a natural process. Those inner needles have become shaded out and are no longer a productive part of the tree. If you are seeing more than just the inner needles dropping, or there is a larger than normal amount of shedding, another issue may be at hand.
To keep your spruce healthy, proper watering is imperative. Provide deep watering at long intervals throughout the summer (every two weeks) rather than shallow watering at short intervals. In particular, provide a good watering before the ground freezes and again in winter if it thaws and dries out. Remove sod from the base of the tree out to the branch edge, and cover the area with mulch.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Toquerville, 20 miles north of St. George, but still just as hot. I'd like to plant a medium to large tree in my front yard to shade the garage a little. There is no grass, no regular water. I will be watering it by hand/hose until it's established & then would like something that could tolerate hot, dry summers. Maybe the Texas Honey Mesquite or African Sumac. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).
- I have a 25-foot tall scrub oak that appears to be dying. If it is anthracnose that is killing it, can it be saved? There are some commercial, injectable products that claim success. Is it possible?
- We have clover infesting our grass. Each clover plant has these pod-like objects, that when picked or brushed up against causes white larva-like and red seeds to hop or pop off. The red seeds stick to skin and clothing and is irritating to the skin. The clovers also have little yellow flowers that sprout. How do we get rid of these clovers so we might play and use our lawn again. How do you keep them from coming back?
- What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
- When do I cut back my shrubs?