Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
Rate This FAQ
In the fall, evergreen trees will shed their inner-most needles. This may look alarming, but it is a natural process. Those inner needles have become shaded out and are no longer a productive part of the tree. If you are seeing more than just the inner needles dropping, or there is a larger than normal amount of shedding, another issue may be at hand.
To keep your spruce healthy, proper watering is imperative. Provide deep watering at long intervals throughout the summer (every two weeks) rather than shallow watering at short intervals. In particular, provide a good watering before the ground freezes and again in winter if it thaws and dries out. Remove sod from the base of the tree out to the branch edge, and cover the area with mulch.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips for success with African violets?
- What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
- How can I make my lawnmower safe?
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?
- We moved two Moab two years ago. My husband wants to grow a nut tree on the southwest side of our house that is just bare dirt and gravel now. We also want a shade tree (no fruits or nuts) in our front yard that faces South/Southeast to give our house shade. I am originally from Utah County and I miss my trees! Is there anything comparable that would grow here in the clay?
- I have a good number of my lawn customers that have a large amount of burmuda grass coming into their bluegrass lawns. I have use for 3 years a product call turflon ester, A Monterey product, containing Triclopyr at 61.6% at up to double the rate. I have been applying 3 applications per season with a backpack sprayer to spot spray the patches in the bluegrass. I am disappointed in my results. Please reply as to what to do to eradicate this problem as I think that is is very critical. I see it in most of the approx. 70 lawns that I treat. Where is it coming from??
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.