Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
Rate This FAQ
In the fall, evergreen trees will shed their inner-most needles. This may look alarming, but it is a natural process. Those inner needles have become shaded out and are no longer a productive part of the tree. If you are seeing more than just the inner needles dropping, or there is a larger than normal amount of shedding, another issue may be at hand.
To keep your spruce healthy, proper watering is imperative. Provide deep watering at long intervals throughout the summer (every two weeks) rather than shallow watering at short intervals. In particular, provide a good watering before the ground freezes and again in winter if it thaws and dries out. Remove sod from the base of the tree out to the branch edge, and cover the area with mulch.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- What is anthracnose?