Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
Rate This FAQ
More than likely a canker killed the branch on your tree. Cankers are caused by fungi, and the most common species on fruit and ornamental trees in
Areas affected by cankers will have sunken and darker, discolored bark. If you scrape the bark away, the wood underneath will be Prune out the affected limb at least 6-inches below the canker. Disinfect your pruners between each cut with a mixture of bleach and water.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?