Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
Rate This FAQ
More than likely a canker killed the branch on your tree. Cankers are caused by fungi, and the most common species on fruit and ornamental trees in
Areas affected by cankers will have sunken and darker, discolored bark. If you scrape the bark away, the wood underneath will be Prune out the affected limb at least 6-inches below the canker. Disinfect your pruners between each cut with a mixture of bleach and water.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?