Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
Rate This FAQ
More than likely a canker killed the branch on your tree. Cankers are caused by fungi, and the most common species on fruit and ornamental trees in
Areas affected by cankers will have sunken and darker, discolored bark. If you scrape the bark away, the wood underneath will be Prune out the affected limb at least 6-inches below the canker. Disinfect your pruners between each cut with a mixture of bleach and water.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- Do you have an email list I can subscribe to that informs me when to spray my fruit trees?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.