Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have, what may be, a rat in my back yard. I have pictures that I could send to you. It is eating my bird food, but other than that, doesn't seem to be a problem....yet. It actually lives next door and comes under my fence to get food (I have a black lab that is in our yard so I think they live next door for their safety). Could you tell me if I need to get rid of it for health...danger...or other reasons? I know our area has rats in the fields (Milcreek area), I just don't feel comfortable with one this close to my house.
Rate This FAQ
Rats are commonly found in suburban settings because people provide easy food for them. For instance, the birdfood in your own yard. Many people even leave dogfood or catfood outdoors for their pets, and rats appreciate that. The best way to keep the rat away from your yard is to contain the birdfood scatter. If your feeder is mounted atop a pole, try catching the scattered seed on an inverted screen cone attached to the pole about one foot under the feeder.
You can read more about rats and control techniques at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/NR_WD_010.pdf.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How should I bury rain gutter downspouts? How far away should the extension go away from the house? How deep should the end of the extension be?
- Can you give me information on cleaning after a flood?
- I built a house last year and we have ants all over. They are coming back now that the weather is warming up. What can I do to get rid of them?
- How can I prevent timber theft on my forest property?
- I have termites that have dug into my wall between the drywall and the paint. They are also in the dirt outside the same area of wall. Can I treat these myself? If so, with what? And, do I need to replace the drywall? Thank you, Merrie Jackson
- Do you have any snow removal tips?
- How can we promote peace in our home when there is not peace around us?
- I have gnats flying around my house which seem to be coming from my potted plants. What can I do to control these insects?