Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have, what may be, a rat in my back yard. I have pictures that I could send to you. It is eating my bird food, but other than that, doesn't seem to be a problem....yet. It actually lives next door and comes under my fence to get food (I have a black lab that is in our yard so I think they live next door for their safety). Could you tell me if I need to get rid of it for health...danger...or other reasons? I know our area has rats in the fields (Milcreek area), I just don't feel comfortable with one this close to my house.
Rate This FAQ
Rats are commonly found in suburban settings because people provide easy food for them. For instance, the birdfood in your own yard. Many people even leave dogfood or catfood outdoors for their pets, and rats appreciate that. The best way to keep the rat away from your yard is to contain the birdfood scatter. If your feeder is mounted atop a pole, try catching the scattered seed on an inverted screen cone attached to the pole about one foot under the feeder.
You can read more about rats and control techniques at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/NR_WD_010.pdf.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My child wrote on the wall with a crayon. How do I get the crayon off?
- Small black ants have been invading my kitchen. How do I get rid of them?
- Box Elder bugs have emerged already and are breeding. They get into the house and crawl all over the west facing exterior house wallsand are all over the vegetable garden beds. How do I erradicate them?
- I rent out a condo in a very clean complex in Holladay. My new renter called me in a panic believing she has cockroaches. The service I then had spray the unit said "they had never seen cockroaches in 20 years here." She called again saying they still come out at night from under her refrigerator and dishwasher. I had her save some in a bag and overnight, something in the bag hatched and there were dozens. The adults look rather like the photo of a cockroach I downloaded from WikiPedia, but they are only about 3/4" long. Can you tell me about cockroaches in Utah? Who can I get to identify these insects? How can we get rid of them.
- The candle dripped wax onto my table cloth how do I get the stain out?
- I have 1/8 inch long, tiny beetle looking bugs in all of my light fixtures. Do you know what they might be and how I would get rid of them?
- What's the best way to store fruits and vegetables?
- How do I prevent my pipes from freezing?