Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have, what may be, a rat in my back yard. I have pictures that I could send to you. It is eating my bird food, but other than that, doesn't seem to be a problem....yet. It actually lives next door and comes under my fence to get food (I have a black lab that is in our yard so I think they live next door for their safety). Could you tell me if I need to get rid of it for health...danger...or other reasons? I know our area has rats in the fields (Milcreek area), I just don't feel comfortable with one this close to my house.
Rate This FAQ
Rats are commonly found in suburban settings because people provide easy food for them. For instance, the birdfood in your own yard. Many people even leave dogfood or catfood outdoors for their pets, and rats appreciate that. The best way to keep the rat away from your yard is to contain the birdfood scatter. If your feeder is mounted atop a pole, try catching the scattered seed on an inverted screen cone attached to the pole about one foot under the feeder.
You can read more about rats and control techniques at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/NR_WD_010.pdf.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have 1/8 inch long, tiny beetle looking bugs in all of my light fixtures. Do you know what they might be and how I would get rid of them?
- Do you have a list of ingredient substitutions for cooking and baking?
- Box Elder bugs have emerged already and are breeding. They get into the house and crawl all over the west facing exterior house wallsand are all over the vegetable garden beds. How do I erradicate them?
- How can I add some color to my home now that the holiday decor is gone?
- How can I prevent a wildfire from destroying my home?
- I got ball point ink on my pants how do I get it out?
- How should I bury rain gutter downspouts? How far away should the extension go away from the house? How deep should the end of the extension be?
- The candle dripped wax onto my table cloth how do I get the stain out?