Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prune cherry trees?
Rate This FAQ
Traditionally, both sour and sweet cherry trees are trained to an open center form.
Here is a website I’ve found that has a couple of good diagrams and photos of an open center tree form: http://www.uga.edu/fruit/chapter1.html (scroll down a little further than halfway through the webpage).
As you can see there, you want to select 3 to four scaffold branches that are evenly distributed around the perimeter of the tree trunk. Therefore, you will top the tree above the highest scaffold branch.
Take care to leave about one-quarter inch above the topmost branch to allow the cut to heal without harming the top branch. Angle the top cut away from the uppermost scaffold branch so that any rain will run off and not pool on a horizontal cut surface (this could cause rot of the heartwood).
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- I live out in Magna and I was wondering if it's feasable and/or successful to attempt to grow a plum tree from a seed? When should I start?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- I am wondering if the worms in cherries are safe to eat? They are so small it doesn't really bother me to eat them but I don't want to if they could make me sick or continue to live and grow inside me.
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?