Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are you getting sick to often in your home?
Rate This FAQ
Sickness this time of year may be aggravated or caused by some of these indoor air pollutants.
* Poor Air Quality - This is common in homes with inadequate ventilation and super-insulated homes without proper ventilation. Without adequate ventilation indoor air pollutants stay trapped inside the house. To reduce air pollutants, open windows, or purchase a mechanical ventilation system with an air-to-air heat exchanger. This device pulls stale warm air from the house and transfers the heat to the fresh air being sucked into the house from outside. An air filtration unit that captures some pollutants also can be used.
* Carbon Monoxide - This colorless, odorless gas is a combustion pollutant that comes from burning fuels such as natural or liquid propane, fuel oil, kerosene, wood or coal. Have your house tested by the fuel company, or, for extra protection, purchase a carbon monoxide monitor at hardware or retail stores.
* Radon Gas - Exposure does not produce any immediate health symptoms, but is a leading cause of lung cancer after long-term exposure. It is a by-product of the natural decay of uranium in the earth and can be drawn into the home through the crawl space, foundation cracks and other openings. Information and test kits are available through the Utah State Radon Office at 1-800-458-0145 or 801-536-4250.
* Mold Spores - These grow in areas with excess moisture such as bathrooms, crawl spaces, basements, kitchens, laundry areas, or where too many people or pets occupy a small space. If the relative humidity is more than 50 percent, mold spores will grow. To prevent spore growth, keep air ducts clean, use ventilating fans in kitchen and bathroom areas, vent clothes dryers outside or install a dehumidifier. Mold may also collect in ducts after summer and becomes airborne once the heating system starts working. When the heating system starts working it is common for people to get cold-like symptoms from the mold.
* Asbestos - This mineral fiber has been used as a fire retardant or to wrap water pipes. Asbestos is associated with lung cancer and asbestosis, a disease which scars the lungs. If you suspect the presence of asbestos in your home, leave it alone and contact the Department of Health on how to test for asbestos and methods used to seal or remove asbestos.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We are getting a lot of white build up on our dishes from our dishwasher that doesn't decrease with rinse aids. Our water source is well water, and I don't know if this very hard mineral-full water is to blame, but is there a way to remedy this? When we moved into our house last fall we replaced the dishwasher because the old one was full of these deposits, I don't want to have to buy another new dishwasher, any suggestions of cleaning and maintaining this one?
- How can I find a reliable contractor for spring repairs?
- I have a problem with what I think are black ants. I used to use Fluorguard Ant Bait Stations, which worked very well. Unfortunately, they have been pulled from the market and are no longer available. Can you recommend another good treatment product? Currently, I'm considering Maxforce Carpenter Ant Gel (which supposedly works on black ants), and Gourmet Ant Bait Gel.
- What are some ways to avoid repair scams artists this spring?
- How do i adjust my thermostat for cold weather comfort and still lower my monthly heating cost? (Two Part Series)
- How can I complain about a product I purchased that is not working right?
- How can I better budget for the holidays?
- I'd like to work at home, how can I tell if the advertised business is legitimate?