Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
Rate This FAQ
Mid-October is about as late as you should try starting a cool-season lawn from seed in Salt Lake City. Hydroseeding gives you about one week longer, since the seed is primed and will germinate faster than dry seed would. So, we are at the very tail end of your window of opportunity. Optimal germination of Kentucky bluegrass seed occurs when daytime highs are in the mid-80's and night time low temperatures are around 59. Obviously, the weather is turning much cooler than that now.
However, Kentucky bluegrass is tolerant of very cool temperatures, and even with a light covering of snow seed may continue to germinate and grow very slowly. The biggest drawback to starting Kentucky bluegrass so late in the growing season is that since germination and growth will be even slower than usual (Kentucky bluegrass usually takes about 14 days to germinate from seed), the window of careful nurture is greatly extended. In other words, the seeded area surface will need to be kept moist for up to 3 or 4 weeks (about twice as long as when hydroseeded in May).
I hope this information can help you make a more informed decision on how to use your landscape budget and time resources.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?
- Do you have the names of companies or individuals who spray fruit trees in the spring and summer to prevent bugs and disease?
- I planted my tomatos around the middle of May and now they are big and great looking except not one of the 12 plants has a blossom on it. Am I not patient enough or what can I do about this?
- Is Fall a good time to plant a new lawn? I am a 72 year old homeowner. My back yard (about 2000 sq feet) is barren except or weeds (which my daughter and grandchildren are busy removing).
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?