Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
Rate This FAQ
Mid-October is about as late as you should try starting a cool-season lawn from seed in Salt Lake City. Hydroseeding gives you about one week longer, since the seed is primed and will germinate faster than dry seed would. So, we are at the very tail end of your window of opportunity. Optimal germination of Kentucky bluegrass seed occurs when daytime highs are in the mid-80's and night time low temperatures are around 59. Obviously, the weather is turning much cooler than that now.
However, Kentucky bluegrass is tolerant of very cool temperatures, and even with a light covering of snow seed may continue to germinate and grow very slowly. The biggest drawback to starting Kentucky bluegrass so late in the growing season is that since germination and growth will be even slower than usual (Kentucky bluegrass usually takes about 14 days to germinate from seed), the window of careful nurture is greatly extended. In other words, the seeded area surface will need to be kept moist for up to 3 or 4 weeks (about twice as long as when hydroseeded in May).
I hope this information can help you make a more informed decision on how to use your landscape budget and time resources.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
- The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?
- How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- We are putting in a backyard with grass seed instead of sod. I am wondering if we need to add lime to our soil to change the pH and also what types of grass work best in our area. I assume that Kentucky Bluegrass would be best, but should I get a mix or just the Bluegrass? Are certain brands better than others?
- I want to limit growth of newly planted fruit trees and wonder if it would be possible to do that by making a large wooden box and planting each one in a box in the ground? Also if it would work to do that, do I need redwood? I have a stack of 4 x 12 x 16 douglas fir lumber which had been painted on one side and I wondered if I could use them to do this or will they create bug problems?