Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
Rate This FAQ
Mid-October is about as late as you should try starting a cool-season lawn from seed in Salt Lake City. Hydroseeding gives you about one week longer, since the seed is primed and will germinate faster than dry seed would. So, we are at the very tail end of your window of opportunity. Optimal germination of Kentucky bluegrass seed occurs when daytime highs are in the mid-80's and night time low temperatures are around 59. Obviously, the weather is turning much cooler than that now.
However, Kentucky bluegrass is tolerant of very cool temperatures, and even with a light covering of snow seed may continue to germinate and grow very slowly. The biggest drawback to starting Kentucky bluegrass so late in the growing season is that since germination and growth will be even slower than usual (Kentucky bluegrass usually takes about 14 days to germinate from seed), the window of careful nurture is greatly extended. In other words, the seeded area surface will need to be kept moist for up to 3 or 4 weeks (about twice as long as when hydroseeded in May).
I hope this information can help you make a more informed decision on how to use your landscape budget and time resources.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?
- I have some fruit trees in a lawn area that I have been fertilizing with ammonium sulfate, but needed to change to a weed & feed. Is the fruit still safe to eat?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- We don't have morning glory in our lawn, but it is taking over our strawberries. Is there anything we can do? If we decide we'd rather get rid of the morning glory instead of saving the strawberries, will roundup get rid of it?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?