Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is the use of manure safe for the vegetable garden?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, with some recommendations. These are the rules for manure use as it relates to Organic Farms and is good practice whenever you are using manure in the home vegetable garden.
1) The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends that raw manure be applied and incorporated into the soil a minimum of 120 days prior to harvest when the edible portion of the crop is in contact with the soil. Examples for vegetables that are in contact with the soil would include crops like carrot, potato, radish, tomato grown on the ground, and most leafy vegetables. These are deemed in contact because soil can splash up onto the crop during a rain or irrigation event, thus contaminating the crop.
2) Incorporate manure into the soil a minimum of 90 days prior to harvest for all other food crops.The 120 and 90 day limits apply to crops used for direct human consumption.You could compost the manure and use it next spring or summer or you can apply it this fall and till it into the soil. You would then meet the 90 or 120 day rules.
3) Don't sidedress with raw manure during the gardening season, and be careful of making "manure teas" by steeping raw manure and water and then applying these to plants. If you do these things, the likelihood of contracting E. coli is diminished.
4) One should always wash or rinse off (with cool running water) the fruits, roots, or leaves prior to consuming them. Persons with weak immune systems should not eat raw produce and should cook it thoroughly. This can minimize the likelihood of contamination.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?
- You have some history on the popularity of apples?
- I have a climbing rose that I love and would like to take a cutting and start a new plant. What is the best way to do that?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.
- I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
- What do I do about squash bugs?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?