Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.
Rate This FAQ
The plant may have been a rogue seedling growing from a common weed that is closely related to peppers. Nightshade produces fruit similar to what you are describing, and it is in the same genus as peppers, Solanaceae. The plant looks sort of similar to peppers or tomato, but the fruit is poisonous.
I could also be a different pepper plant that was somehow mixed up with the others.
Always be careful about eating any plant or plant part that you aren't sure about, since some plants are poisonous.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How much sunlight do my raspberries need?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- When and with what should I spray my peach and apple trees for pests?
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- Where can I find a vegetable garden planting schedule guide for the Salt Lake Valley area?