Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?
Rate This FAQ
Exact identification of the hobo spider often requires examination under a microscope. When observed with the naked eye, even those familiar with this spider can be fooled by other species that resemble it. In general, hobo spiders have a tan to brown thorax and legs and a grayish abdomen. The abdomen often has a "chevron" pattern (like sergeant's stripes) of yellow markings, though this is usually most noticeable in immatures.
There are several ways to tell if a given spider is NOT a hobo spider:
- The spider has dark bands (like multiple arm bands) around its legs.
- The spider has distinct black markings on the thorax or abdomen.
- The spider is larger than a fifty-cent piece (including the legs).
Additional information and images of the hobo spider are found in the Hobo Spider fact sheet.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- About the end of July, some of my Hostas start turning yellow and eventually almost white. These get more sun that the rest. Is that the problem or do they need more fertilizer at some point.
- I had to cut down a large Globe Willow tree in my back yard as it was growing into the power line. I have heard that it is dangerous to burn the wood from a Globe Willow in a fireplace as it emits toxic fumes. Is this true?
- I have beautiful hosta and fern plants growing outside. How do I protect them so they will survive the winter? Do I need to dig them up and bring them inside?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?