Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?
Rate This FAQ
Exact identification of the hobo spider often requires examination under a microscope. When observed with the naked eye, even those familiar with this spider can be fooled by other species that resemble it. In general, hobo spiders have a tan to brown thorax and legs and a grayish abdomen. The abdomen often has a "chevron" pattern (like sergeant's stripes) of yellow markings, though this is usually most noticeable in immatures.
There are several ways to tell if a given spider is NOT a hobo spider:
- The spider has dark bands (like multiple arm bands) around its legs.
- The spider has distinct black markings on the thorax or abdomen.
- The spider is larger than a fifty-cent piece (including the legs).
Additional information and images of the hobo spider are found in the Hobo Spider fact sheet.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- Now that the snow has melted off our lawn, we notice there are winding "trails" through the grass. One of the trails goes from a patch of vince major ground cover, across the grass to another patch of vinca major ground cover. It looks like something has pushed up the black plastic lawn edging enough to crawl underneath. There is no soil excavation on top of the lawn; only tunnels through the grass. We've never had moles or voles before that I know of so I don't know what habits they have. Do you think it could be a mouse or maybe a mole or vole? What's the best way to get ride of it?
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?
- My purple crown locust has never bloomed in the 5 years that I've had it and the past two years in the summer whole branches of leaves are dying off. Should I remove it and start over?
- I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- I just bought some property with what I think is a Bartlett pear tree. The tree seems to be in good condition but the fruit skin develops a coarse brown covering. What causes this?
- I am trying to grow an indoor herb garden. My dill and cilantro are failing miserably! I think I am also harvesting them when they are too young. Help! They are frail and stringy.