Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
Rate This FAQ
Wear appropriate clothing. Long-sleeved shirts and pants make it more difficult for mosquitoes to pierce your skin and transmit disease while feeding.
Stay indoors during peak flight activity. Mosquitoes that transmit West Nile Virus are most actively feeding from dusk through dawn.
Protect yourself with repellent. DEETis an effective mosquito repellent available in several concentrations. Products containing DEET have a relatively low risk to humans and the environment. DEET can be applied to the skin, but should not be applied directly to the face. Children should use DEET sparingly because of eye and mucous irritations. Picaridinis an alternative for people with sensitivities to DEET-based products. It is effective, almost odorless and can be applied directly to the skin. BioUD is sold commercially as Bite Blocker® and is derived from plants. Bite Blocker can be applied to the skin and has no child restrictions. Unlike DEET, BioUD will not melt plastic and is not flammable. Permethrinis a highly effective repellent, and products containing permethrin can be applied to clothing, shoes and camping gear. Oil of eucalyptusis a plant-based repellent and is about as effective as applying low concentrations of DEET.
Eliminate standing water. Because mosquito eggs are deposited in standing water, anything you do to reduce breeding sites will decrease the number of adult mosquitoes. This includes improving landscaping to minimize pooling water in ditches and other low spots in the yard.
Keep containers clean and dry. Empty and clean watering cans, flower pots or other potential sources of standing water when they are not in use. Drill holes to allow drainage. Garbage cans and recycling bins can hold rain water for days.
Maintain pools with fresh water. Frequently change the water around the property, including fish or ornamental ponds, bird baths and pet bowls.
Properly chlorinate swimming pools and hot tubs to discourage female mosquitoes from laying eggs.
Prevent mosquitoes from entering the home. Keep windows and doors closed, repair torn screens, insulate window fans or air conditioners and close fireplaces when not in use.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- I made the mistake of fertilizing my newly planted trees. I had heard that the salty, clay soil I have needs iron useable for the trees. I used chelated. Anyway two of the trees, a candian red cherry and a zelkova tree have dry crispy leaves on the north side of the tree. We have had very hot, windy weather. I have two other canadian cherries that look fine.
- Do you have information on soil testing?
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
- How can I tell when my pears are ripe?