Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
Rate This FAQ
Wear appropriate clothing. Long-sleeved shirts and pants make it more difficult for mosquitoes to pierce your skin and transmit disease while feeding.
Stay indoors during peak flight activity. Mosquitoes that transmit West Nile Virus are most actively feeding from dusk through dawn.
Protect yourself with repellent. DEETis an effective mosquito repellent available in several concentrations. Products containing DEET have a relatively low risk to humans and the environment. DEET can be applied to the skin, but should not be applied directly to the face. Children should use DEET sparingly because of eye and mucous irritations. Picaridinis an alternative for people with sensitivities to DEET-based products. It is effective, almost odorless and can be applied directly to the skin. BioUD is sold commercially as Bite Blocker® and is derived from plants. Bite Blocker can be applied to the skin and has no child restrictions. Unlike DEET, BioUD will not melt plastic and is not flammable. Permethrinis a highly effective repellent, and products containing permethrin can be applied to clothing, shoes and camping gear. Oil of eucalyptusis a plant-based repellent and is about as effective as applying low concentrations of DEET.
Eliminate standing water. Because mosquito eggs are deposited in standing water, anything you do to reduce breeding sites will decrease the number of adult mosquitoes. This includes improving landscaping to minimize pooling water in ditches and other low spots in the yard.
Keep containers clean and dry. Empty and clean watering cans, flower pots or other potential sources of standing water when they are not in use. Drill holes to allow drainage. Garbage cans and recycling bins can hold rain water for days.
Maintain pools with fresh water. Frequently change the water around the property, including fish or ornamental ponds, bird baths and pet bowls.
Properly chlorinate swimming pools and hot tubs to discourage female mosquitoes from laying eggs.
Prevent mosquitoes from entering the home. Keep windows and doors closed, repair torn screens, insulate window fans or air conditioners and close fireplaces when not in use.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My euonymus has a white powdery film on the leaves, what is it?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- I have a lawn with necrotic ring, it has been treated with f:stop. Question; Future construction will remove much of the sod. Should I treat the soil before I lay new sod.
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?
- What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?