Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
Rate This FAQ
Wear appropriate clothing. Long-sleeved shirts and pants make it more difficult for mosquitoes to pierce your skin and transmit disease while feeding.
Stay indoors during peak flight activity. Mosquitoes that transmit West Nile Virus are most actively feeding from dusk through dawn.
Protect yourself with repellent. DEETis an effective mosquito repellent available in several concentrations. Products containing DEET have a relatively low risk to humans and the environment. DEET can be applied to the skin, but should not be applied directly to the face. Children should use DEET sparingly because of eye and mucous irritations. Picaridinis an alternative for people with sensitivities to DEET-based products. It is effective, almost odorless and can be applied directly to the skin. BioUD is sold commercially as Bite Blocker® and is derived from plants. Bite Blocker can be applied to the skin and has no child restrictions. Unlike DEET, BioUD will not melt plastic and is not flammable. Permethrinis a highly effective repellent, and products containing permethrin can be applied to clothing, shoes and camping gear. Oil of eucalyptusis a plant-based repellent and is about as effective as applying low concentrations of DEET.
Eliminate standing water. Because mosquito eggs are deposited in standing water, anything you do to reduce breeding sites will decrease the number of adult mosquitoes. This includes improving landscaping to minimize pooling water in ditches and other low spots in the yard.
Keep containers clean and dry. Empty and clean watering cans, flower pots or other potential sources of standing water when they are not in use. Drill holes to allow drainage. Garbage cans and recycling bins can hold rain water for days.
Maintain pools with fresh water. Frequently change the water around the property, including fish or ornamental ponds, bird baths and pet bowls.
Properly chlorinate swimming pools and hot tubs to discourage female mosquitoes from laying eggs.
Prevent mosquitoes from entering the home. Keep windows and doors closed, repair torn screens, insulate window fans or air conditioners and close fireplaces when not in use.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- What is anthracnose?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- How do I get rid of wild morning glory?
- I'm getting ready to plant grass in my back yard either this fall or in the spring. I'm wondering if dwarf fescue will grow well here in Springville, or if I would be better off planting bluegrass? I had dewarf fescue in Southern California and really liked it.
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?