Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
Rate This FAQ
Homeowners can freeze grains to control insects. To control insects by freezing, place 1 to 15 pounds of grain in a medium to heavy plastic bag and place in freezer for 2-3 days. After removing bag from freezer leave grain in a warm room for 24 hours to allow grain to dry from condensation.
If you have large amounts of grain you can use dry ice fumigation. In a 5-gallon bucket place 3 to 4 inches of grain in the bottom, spread 2 ounces of dry ice on the 3 to 4 inches of grain. After the ice is added, fill the container with grain to desired depth. Allow approximately 30 minutes for the ice to vaporize (evaporate) before placing the lid tightly on the container. You can place the lid ajar over the container during the 30 minute evaporation phase. After evaporation the lid must be fit air-tight to remain effective.
Note: Freezing and dry ice will control adult and larval stage insects, but not eggs. You may have to use multiple freeze cycles until no further insect activity is observed.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I've read that dry pack food storage products expire within x amount of years depending on the product. My parents purchased a LARGE quantity (over 100 cases of #10 cans) of assorted dry pack 28 years ago from Desert Supply Company; wheat, cornmeal, powdered milk, eggs, instant potatoes etc. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with throwing it all out. Can you please confirm that this is wasted product or is there anything salvagable.. and if so for how much longer would it be good? It has been stored in a dry/dark cool basement.
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- Where should I put my food storage?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- What can I store water in?