Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Where should I put my food storage?
Rate This FAQ
The optimal conditions for food storage are a cool (50-70 degrees F), dry, dark, and well ventilated place. In Utah, most basements provide good storage conditions. Food stored in warmer, lighter, and more humid conditions will loose quality faster. If you have limited space consider storing food under beds, couches, or tables. Use book shelves to display home canned goods or make tables with 5 gallon food storage containers as the base.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- How much water should I store?
- How much food should I store?
- I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???