Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How much food should I store?
Rate This FAQ
A basic food supply will contain one pound of dry matter per person per day. One pound of dry matter provides about 1600 Calories of energy each day. Dry matter includes: wheat, sugar, dry beans, rice, pasta, oats, flour, dried fruits, dried vegetables, dry milk, etc. Storing dry matter will provide calories, but other nutrients such as protein, vitamin, and mineral may be sacrificed. The addition of fruits, vegetables and storing a variety of dry matter will improve the nutritional quality of stored diets. USU Extension publication FN-503 Food Storage Cooking School "Use It or Lose It!" http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_503.pdf has some excellent ideas for determining amounts of food for storage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?