Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How much food should I store?
Rate This FAQ
A basic food supply will contain one pound of dry matter per person per day. One pound of dry matter provides about 1600 Calories of energy each day. Dry matter includes: wheat, sugar, dry beans, rice, pasta, oats, flour, dried fruits, dried vegetables, dry milk, etc. Storing dry matter will provide calories, but other nutrients such as protein, vitamin, and mineral may be sacrificed. The addition of fruits, vegetables and storing a variety of dry matter will improve the nutritional quality of stored diets. USU Extension publication FN-503 Food Storage Cooking School "Use It or Lose It!" http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_503.pdf has some excellent ideas for determining amounts of food for storage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- I've read that dry pack food storage products expire within x amount of years depending on the product. My parents purchased a LARGE quantity (over 100 cases of #10 cans) of assorted dry pack 28 years ago from Desert Supply Company; wheat, cornmeal, powdered milk, eggs, instant potatoes etc. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with throwing it all out. Can you please confirm that this is wasted product or is there anything salvagable.. and if so for how much longer would it be good? It has been stored in a dry/dark cool basement.
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?