Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
Rate This FAQ
Nutrients in food are affected by exposure to heat, light, and air. There are many nutrients to consider in stored foods. Following are some effects of storage on some nutrients:
· Calories - foods continue to provide needed energy over time
· Minerals - very little change in stored foods
· Carbohydrates - very little change in stored foods
· Proteins - change in reaction in recipe; for example old wheat flour will not rise, because the proteins are unable to form gluten
· Fats - oxidation (become rancid) creates off flavors and odors
· Vitamins - some loss over time; destroyed by heat, light, and oxidation. Storing and eating a variety of foods can assure adequate vitamin intake.
Rotate stored food within 2 to 3 years to maintain optimal nutritional value.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
- How much food should I store?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?