Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do I need to treat water before storing it?
Rate This FAQ
Water that is stored for long periods should be sanitized or disinfected. To treat water add 1/4 tsp. (16 drops) liquid chlorine bleach (5%) per gallon of water. You may want to rotate your water every few years.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
- What can I store water in?
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- Is it save to eat weevil?
- How long can I keep stored foods?