Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do you read the code on canned goods to determine the expiration date?
Rate This FAQ
Each manufacturer has a different coding system. You can contact the manufacturer and they will help you determine what the product code means. As a rule of thumb canned goods have optimal quality if eaten within 1 to 2years. The food will be safe longer than 2 years, but quality will start to diminish. After 2 years canned products may become dark, have changes in texture, and changes in flavor. If the can is bulging, leaking, or rusting throw it away. If you open the product and it has a milky or slimy appearance or texture, rancid odor, corrosion on the inside of the can, or is moldy, discard the product.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips on cooking for one?
- I purchased some sealed pouches of cornmeal in 1999. It has been stored sometimes in wrm climates nd for the last 3 years in a cool climatel Is it still good and useable? Thank you in advance. Jim Burkey
- Would like to know how many drops in one ounce of water equals how many parts per million? Or quart ect.
- Is it possible to grow blueberries in Utah County? If so, what do I need to do to help them thrive?
- How do I get rid of the flour weevils that I have in my kitchen without destroying all of my boxed mixes, etc. I know I've got to spray something but is there anything that will leave the food safe for consumption?
- I just prepared chicken and spilled juices on the counter, how do I sanitize the countertop?
- The power went out, is the food in my refrigerator/freezer still o.k. to eat?
- I want to cover and leave carrots in the ground during the winter. How do I keep mice out of them?