Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I left a pot of soup out after dinner last night; I went to bed and forgot about it. Is it safe to eat if I boil the soup really hard for a long time?
Rate This FAQ
No, the food should be thrown away. Eating food left out overnight is a real gamble. Some microorganisms survive reheating and other organisms produce a toxin that is not destroyed by reheating. Bacteria grows rapidly between 40 and 140 degrees F. A good rule of thumb is never leave food at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I eat healthier at fast food restaurants?
- I have a recipe for chili sauce that has tomatoes, onion, sugar, and spices. After it has cooked down, I just put it in hot jars and put the canning lids on. Is that okay, or do I need to process in a boiling water bath?
- As I've grown older I've lost my appetite, can I get it back?
- Can a Person safely eat the head of any venomous snake? If not, why?
- Do you have suggestions for nutritious brown bag lunches?
- Should I worry about pesticides on fruits and vegetables?
- I want to cover and leave carrots in the ground during the winter. How do I keep mice out of them?
- How do I get rid of the flour weevils that I have in my kitchen without destroying all of my boxed mixes, etc. I know I've got to spray something but is there anything that will leave the food safe for consumption?