Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have thinned out my scrub oak as a fire preventative, but I keep getting lots of runners. How do I control the runners?
Rate This FAQ
It's good you've thinned your oak for fire hazard reduction. However, Gambel oak reproduces by forming sprouts along it's root system (the runners you mention) that grow quickly to fill gaps in the canopy. This sprouting is actually encouraged by thinning or pruning. It is possible to reduce sprouting by applying glyphosate (Roundup) or triclopyr (Ortho Brush-B-Gon) to stumps, but since the stump is connected by it's root system to adjacent trees, you may end up harming remaining trees you don't want to remove. You also can spray emerging sprouts with the same chemicals, but again may harm remaining trees. Therefore, the best and only way to handle the sprouts, unless you want to eliminate oak from an area completely, is to mechanically remove the sprouts by pruning, mowing, digging, etc. There's really no other way. By the way, we have a fact sheet on Firewise Plants available at http://web2.ad.ext.usu.edu/htm/publications/publication=6278.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have someone with about ¾ of an acre and they want to plant some kind of grass that won't require a lot of water or mowing but is good for children to play on.
- What is the best way to plant wildflowers?
- I am going to Hydroseed this weekend and need to know how much to water so that it germinates correctly.
- If I don't have enough water to fully irrigate all of my crop land should I try to spread the water across all of the acreage, or irrigate fewer acres with closer to full irrigation?
- We live in a rural area and our indoor and outdoor water source is a flowing artesian well. It's only August, and the well is no longer "flowing." What has to happen for the well to start producing water?
- How long should I run my sprinklers to irrigate my lawn properly?
- It is July 6th and I have a dirt yard now. Is it too late to plant a few trees and shrubs and would it be better to hydroseed now or wait until September?
- What kind of grass does well in St. George with minimal watering and how/when can we start it from seed?