Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am currently looking to put in a turf grass and I wanted to know which would be the better choice between Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideoats grama grass?
Rate This FAQ
"I live in Tooele. I am currently looking put in a turf grass and I wanted to know which would be the better choice between Buffalograss, Blue grama,, crested wheat grass or Sideoats grama grass? My soil is heavy clay and is full of rocks. I do intend on planting a couple of shade trees in the area in question. You advice would be greatly appreciated."
It all depends on the time of the year you desire green/blue grass. Buffalo grass and Blue gramma are warm season grasses and will be dormant most of the year except for June July and August. It is hard to get established as well but can be satisfactory. Chested wheat grass is a cool season grass and will look its best during spring and fall. It will tend to go dormant in the heat of the summer but green up early spring and stay green late into the fall. Both choices will work however, the grasses mentioned are not very shade tolerant. Shade trees in the are could pose a problem. To see these grasses up close and personal come to the Tooele County Extension Office at 151 North Main in Tooele. We have 4' X 4' plots of these grasses for your viewing pleasure.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am going to Hydroseed this weekend and need to know how much to water so that it germinates correctly.
- The governor's initiative says that I shouldn't water between 10AM and 6 PM. Won't I have disease problems if I irrigate at night?
- It is July 6th and I have a dirt yard now. Is it too late to plant a few trees and shrubs and would it be better to hydroseed now or wait until September?
- I would like to replace my dying grass with wildflowers on a sandy, hill on S. mountain. What kind of wildflowers are drought resistant and would they grow well, and where could I buy them?
- Where can I find an extensive list of drought tolerant trees, perennials and shrubs?
- I want to revamp my lawn area plant more drought tolerant plants. Is there a way I can adjust my sprinklers to work with my new landscape - without digging the system up or hiring a professional?
- What types of grass use the most (or least) amount of water?
- This year we've noticed that many of our scrub oak trees have not shown any leaves. Adjacent properties have the same issue.