Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the best way to plant wildflowers?
Rate This FAQ
"Do we need to rake up the dead grass before we plant? What is the best way to plant the wildflowers? For our front yard, if we plant drought resistant grass, do I have to remove the dead Kentucky bluegrass first? Also, are wildflowers and native grasses bug/slug resistant?"
First, you need to make sure the grass is actually dead. If it's still alive you will start seeing some growth when the temperatures start to warm up (about March). If this is the case, allow the grass to grow up a little in early spring and then treat it with Round-Up. Either way, you will need to remove the dead sod before you plant your wildflowers. I would suggest broadcasting the wildflower seeds and then raking over them to make sure they are covered. It will be important the first year that you control the weeds - this will cut down on the possibility of future weed problems. Once you get the wildflowers established, they will have a much better chance of out competing the weeds. In general, native plants do tend to be more insect and disease resistant.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We live in a rural area and our indoor and outdoor water source is a flowing artesian well. It's only August, and the well is no longer "flowing." What has to happen for the well to start producing water?
- I want to revamp my lawn area plant more drought tolerant plants. Is there a way I can adjust my sprinklers to work with my new landscape - without digging the system up or hiring a professional?
- I have someone with about ¾ of an acre and they want to plant some kind of grass that won't require a lot of water or mowing but is good for children to play on.
- How deep should perennials, annuals, and lawn be watered?
- I would like to replace my dying grass with wildflowers on a sandy, hill on S. mountain. What kind of wildflowers are drought resistant and would they grow well, and where could I buy them?
- I have noticed quite a few brown areas in lawns in the Salt Lake area, including my own.
- What causes tomato blossom end rot? How do you treat it?
- What types of grass use the most (or least) amount of water?