Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are tomatoes turning black (dark) from the bottom up when they begin to ripen. They are also dark on the inside.
Rate This FAQ
The condition that you are seeing is called blossom end rot. Blossom-end rot is a physiological disorder caused by a calcium deficiency in the young fruit. Utah soils have plenty of calcium so even though technically it is the problem, the real issue is fluctuation in the amount of water available to the plant that makes the plant unable to transport the calcium as needed. Tomatoes, squash, peppers, eggplants and melons are all vulnerable to this problem. The good news is that normally only the first few fruits to ripen are damaged.
There are a couple of different things that you can do to help prevent this condition. Overwatering your plants can aggravate this condition, especially if your plants are in a heavier clay soil. Keep a close eye on how much water you apply and how much moisture is in the soil. Mulching around your plants can also help to reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation and can help keep soil moisture levels more consistent. In addition, over fertilizing your plants can also contribute to this condition. I have included a link below to our tomatoes fact sheet.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- How do I get rid of morning glory?
- When can I cut back my tulips and other spring bulbs?
- I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?