Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are tomatoes turning black (dark) from the bottom up when they begin to ripen. They are also dark on the inside.
Rate This FAQ
The condition that you are seeing is called blossom end rot. Blossom-end rot is a physiological disorder caused by a calcium deficiency in the young fruit. Utah soils have plenty of calcium so even though technically it is the problem, the real issue is fluctuation in the amount of water available to the plant that makes the plant unable to transport the calcium as needed. Tomatoes, squash, peppers, eggplants and melons are all vulnerable to this problem. The good news is that normally only the first few fruits to ripen are damaged.
There are a couple of different things that you can do to help prevent this condition. Overwatering your plants can aggravate this condition, especially if your plants are in a heavier clay soil. Keep a close eye on how much water you apply and how much moisture is in the soil. Mulching around your plants can also help to reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation and can help keep soil moisture levels more consistent. In addition, over fertilizing your plants can also contribute to this condition. I have included a link below to our tomatoes fact sheet.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- They sell blueberry bushes at Costco. Can they grow in Utah and if so what kind of soil prep is needed?
- do ants eat one another?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- You have some history on the popularity of apples?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- What causes plants to look dirty and lose their green color during the heat of the summer? One culprit is spider mites.
- Should I rotate my vegetable crops?
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?