Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I discovered on my peach tree there is a white larvae that has burrowed into the base of the trunk and a sticky peach colored substance is there. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but I only have about five peaches that made it this year. This is the third year for this tree, and when it was only a year oldit produced 35 peaches. Also, there are these black bugs with red heads on the tree that I have never seen before. HELP! I really want to save this tree!
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like your peach tree has greater Peachtree borer. The larva can be killed by inserting a knife or wire into the empty holes. I have included a link to a fact sheet that has more information on this insect as well as recommendations for control and management.
I have also included a link to the sign up page for the Tree Fruit IPM Advisory. This is a newsletter that is sent out with up to date information on pests and diseases happening in our area as well as recommendations. These newsletters have a great deal of valuable information and can be a great help in your home orchard.
As far as the insect goes, it is difficult for me to say for certain what type it is without actually seeing it. If you could bring a sample into our office at 2001 S. State Street #S2100 we can help you identify it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a sister that lives in South Jordan. She and her neighbor planted their gardens at the same time with the same type of soil. Her neighbors vegetables are thriving and my sisters are on the verge of death. What should she do and where can she have her soil tested?
- I have built a terrace at the back of my garden and would like to start a grape arbor as a natural fence between my yard and my neighbor. What grapes would do well and how do I go about starting an arbor? What kind of fencing would I need?
- Last fall I bought a daffodil mixture. They bloomed great this spring, but in October they have all started to come up. What's going on?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- Last year in June or July pesticide (Ortho Home) was used all over my yard...and in my garden. I didn't realize the dangers of pesticide, until after it had been sprayed/poured all over. Is it safe to plant a vegetable garden this year, or is the pesticide still present in my garden? Is there a way to get my soil tested to make sure it's safe? Thanks, Brandi
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?