Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I discovered on my peach tree there is a white larvae that has burrowed into the base of the trunk and a sticky peach colored substance is there. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but I only have about five peaches that made it this year. This is the third year for this tree, and when it was only a year oldit produced 35 peaches. Also, there are these black bugs with red heads on the tree that I have never seen before. HELP! I really want to save this tree!
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like your peach tree has greater Peachtree borer. The larva can be killed by inserting a knife or wire into the empty holes. I have included a link to a fact sheet that has more information on this insect as well as recommendations for control and management.
I have also included a link to the sign up page for the Tree Fruit IPM Advisory. This is a newsletter that is sent out with up to date information on pests and diseases happening in our area as well as recommendations. These newsletters have a great deal of valuable information and can be a great help in your home orchard.
As far as the insect goes, it is difficult for me to say for certain what type it is without actually seeing it. If you could bring a sample into our office at 2001 S. State Street #S2100 we can help you identify it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The grass in certain areas of my lawn is not growing well. I've been told it may be due to the fact that they're adjacent to pine trees, and that fallen pine needles have caused locally acidic conditions. It is suggested that I apply Gypsum in these areas. Are the diagnoses and suggestions plausible ?
- My purple crown locust has never bloomed in the 5 years that I've had it and the past two years in the summer whole branches of leaves are dying off. Should I remove it and start over?
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- I have an braeburn apple tree that we got from a local nursery last fall. the leaves were slightly curled after we planted it and i thought that it was just transplant shock but this spring it has not cleared up. All the leaves are curled up on the edges.
- My neighbors have horses, and I need to create a wind break of sorts to control dust from their pasture. Please advise regarding trees shrubs I can plant close to fenceline for windbreak that the horses won't eat.
- We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
- We planted apple trees last year. When do we spray for cottling moths?