Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Hi, I have a lot of two year hybrid poplars that we've planted for a wind break and the leaves near the trunks are beginning to turn yellow. I've read that this can be because of lack of water or too much water or not enough fertilizer. It's July and we water them every day because of the 90+ temps. Any suggestions?
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like too much water. I prefer deeper and less frequent watering, normally established trees need a good soak every week to 10 days. Also, frequent watering does not force the tree to grow deep roots that go after water and will sustain a tree through hot days.
Frequent watering also washes away the nitrogen so a tree will rob nitrogen from older leaves to keep growing. This best explains your described your situation. If it were not enough water you would see browning of outer leaves especially those on the south and west side that get the brunt of wind, sun, and warm temperatures. Slowly cut back on your watering intervals but increase the amount. let the hose run longer but put more days between watering. We don't normally encourage fertilization of trees, especially not in the heat of the summer where it encourages lush green growth. Spring and late fall would be better.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is Fall a good time to plant a new lawn? I am a 72 year old homeowner. My back yard (about 2000 sq feet) is barren except or weeds (which my daughter and grandchildren are busy removing).
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- We have lost 2 pine trees and are now loosing our quaking aspen. It has black spots on leaves and trunk has back on it also. The leaves are falling off. Is there anything that can save the tree?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- We bought a house with horrible "goat head thorn" problem, all summer we have been pulling them out and collecting the thorny seeds as much as we can. We are now looking to plant grass seed. And are wondering what seed with grow faster than the goat heads, do well with high traffic (2 dogs) and in a semi shady area?
- My purple crown locust has never bloomed in the 5 years that I've had it and the past two years in the summer whole branches of leaves are dying off. Should I remove it and start over?
- We would like to plant a pasture (about 2 acres). We would like one that creates sod, like a lawn, rather than a bunch grass. It will be used to hold a hillside and eventually to graze a few animals. We could cut it for grass hay also. What would be the best varieties of seed to use for a pasture like this?