Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Hi, I have a lot of two year hybrid poplars that we've planted for a wind break and the leaves near the trunks are beginning to turn yellow. I've read that this can be because of lack of water or too much water or not enough fertilizer. It's July and we water them every day because of the 90+ temps. Any suggestions?
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like too much water. I prefer deeper and less frequent watering, normally established trees need a good soak every week to 10 days. Also, frequent watering does not force the tree to grow deep roots that go after water and will sustain a tree through hot days.
Frequent watering also washes away the nitrogen so a tree will rob nitrogen from older leaves to keep growing. This best explains your described your situation. If it were not enough water you would see browning of outer leaves especially those on the south and west side that get the brunt of wind, sun, and warm temperatures. Slowly cut back on your watering intervals but increase the amount. let the hose run longer but put more days between watering. We don't normally encourage fertilization of trees, especially not in the heat of the summer where it encourages lush green growth. Spring and late fall would be better.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a scrub oak that has been growing between a pine and an aspen, which has made the oak very lop-sided. The aspen is gone now. How much purning can we do to the oak to try and even it's growth?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- My newly sprouted green bean plants are getting small to medium holes in the leaves. Could this be from pests or the heavy rain in East Millcreek?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?
- I am trying to identify a tree that grows all over St. George area. It has a beautiful pink bloom, elongated oval leaf, small- med. height tree. It's been identified to me as a chitolpe tree? It's not an avacado tree.
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?