Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We created square foot gardens last year and have discovered the cat has used them for a litter box over the winter and spring. There isn't a large amount of feces,which we remove, but we are concerned that it may have contaminated the soil. Should we dig it out and start over?
Rate This FAQ
Our literature says that you should not use cat/dog manure in gardens because of the parasites, germs etc. that they can contain. I called a vet and asked him. He said that your grow boxes should be Ok . You have removed the feces and don't need to remove the soil. He also said that if you put a little liquid Pine Sol in the boxes, the cats don't like it and won't use the spot. You can also cover the grow boxes in the fall with black plastic so the cat can't get in.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
- I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
- I have a Bartlett pear tree that has black spots on the leaves and holes chewed on some leaves and a few curled up leaves. Could you tell me what to spray for these problems?
- We just planted a maple tree in our back yard and noticed today that almost every single leaf has large circular spots that appear to have been "eaten" out of the sides of the leaves. I've read about a tar disease, but I don't really see the tar on the leaves. What could it be and is there something we should do about it?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- My husband mistakenly put fertilizer with a broad leaf killer in it on our garden. Is there anything we can do to grow things this year? Everything has died sadly.
- Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
- I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?