Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Something is eating my garden. HELP! At first I thought it was snails because there were quite a few holes in the leaves of my beans and squash. Now, there are just skeleton leaves left of half my garden. I have treated for snails with PAX and for other insects with Seven. I have looked for squash bugs but to no avail. I have seen a great many ants and earwigs. Oh, and my tomatoes seem fine. Any tips?
Rate This FAQ
Earwigs can and will eat just about everything in the garden but they are very hard to control with chemical insecticides. To discourage earwigs let the soil dry out in between watering. If you use mulch around your plants this method may not be as effective because the earwigs can hide out in it. Another method to control earwigs is to fold together several sheets of newspapers together and spray them with enough water so they are damp. In the evening place the newspapers out in your garden. In the morning collect the newspapers and discard the earwigs. Below is a link with more information on earwigs.
Ants do not cause significant injury to landscape plants. Some species like sweets, while others like oils and meat products like pet food.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last year in June or July pesticide (Ortho Home) was used all over my yard...and in my garden. I didn't realize the dangers of pesticide, until after it had been sprayed/poured all over. Is it safe to plant a vegetable garden this year, or is the pesticide still present in my garden? Is there a way to get my soil tested to make sure it's safe? Thanks, Brandi
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
- I planted 5 flowering pear trees. The leaves are drying out and dying. What can I do to make sure the trees do not die from transplant shock?
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?
- We don't have morning glory in our lawn, but it is taking over our strawberries. Is there anything we can do? If we decide we'd rather get rid of the morning glory instead of saving the strawberries, will roundup get rid of it?
- It looks like something has bitten off whole leaves and blossoms from my tomato plants. They seem to be cut clean. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?