Can I legally drill a small water well (or two) under 30 feet deep in my back yard without a permit?



Legally, no.  All water, surface and ground, belongs to the State of Utah.  One can make application at Utah Division of Water Resources to put said water to beneficial use.  If application is approved, you are allowed to use the water according to the conditions prescribed by the State Water Engineer.  Will Atkin is in the State Water office in North Logan.  If you want to pursue an application, Will can be reached at 752-8755. 

Posted on 16 Jul 2009

Clark Israelsen
Agriculture Agent

Other Questions In This Topic