Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to put a barrier inbetween my lawn and my side yard where we have quakies to keep the suckers from coming up. What can I use and how deep do I put it into the ground? Also, they are next to my neighbors driveway, how far do the roots travel and should I barrier that side as well?
Rate This FAQ
Installing barriers to try to stop Aspens from spreading is usually very impractical and does not produce a lot of control. The barrier may confine the root system but the roots may just grown down and around and up the other side. Aspen trees tend to produce the most suckers when they are stressed. To help reduce the amount of suckers they are producing focus on maintaining the health and vigor of the tree by watering deeply but infrequently, fertilizing when needed and disturbing the root system as little as possible. In addition, avoid pruning the trees as this will also increase the amount of suckers they produce. I have included a link to a document that has some information on deep watering trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
- Two Questions: 1. When do Gooseberries flower? 2. When is the best time to plant tulips?
- Why do we rake leaves? What would happen to my lawn and flower garden if I just left them on the ground and let the grass and perennials grow up through them? We currently mulch them with a mower and let most of them stay. Are we raising the elevation of our lawn? Are we doing good or bad to it?
- My peach trees seem to have something sappy oozing from the trunk, somewhere between the middle and top part. I thought borers were usually at the bottom of the trunk. Is it a spread of borers?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?