Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to put a barrier inbetween my lawn and my side yard where we have quakies to keep the suckers from coming up. What can I use and how deep do I put it into the ground? Also, they are next to my neighbors driveway, how far do the roots travel and should I barrier that side as well?
Rate This FAQ
Installing barriers to try to stop Aspens from spreading is usually very impractical and does not produce a lot of control. The barrier may confine the root system but the roots may just grown down and around and up the other side. Aspen trees tend to produce the most suckers when they are stressed. To help reduce the amount of suckers they are producing focus on maintaining the health and vigor of the tree by watering deeply but infrequently, fertilizing when needed and disturbing the root system as little as possible. In addition, avoid pruning the trees as this will also increase the amount of suckers they produce. I have included a link to a document that has some information on deep watering trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I was told there was a worm that eats the goathead or Tribulus Terrestris is that true?
- How can I get rid of Bur Buttercup? We have tried poisons over the past few years with little result. This year we tried a pre-emergent with little to no results. What can we do do get rid of them?
- We recently bought a home in Salt Lake city. The parking strip has very hard soil and weeds mixed with grass. Should we till it under and start over or air-rate it, keep it watered and sprinkle some grass seed on it in the fall or spring? We planted a sycomore tree (Bloodgood London Plane) and I think we stressed it by overwatering. About 50% of the leaves look sun scorched, some very dry and other leaves are green, full and lush, will it snap out of it? Should I air-rate the ground with a pitch fork around it?
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
- Can Blenheim apricots be grown in Cache Valley? If so, what problems might I expect?
- My Black Walnut tree is leaking sap terribly. What's wrong?
- Is there another alternative to getting rid of ferry ring in a lawn than by removing the soil?
- There is a pecan tree where I work that is dropping leaves like crazy. Can I add the leaves to my vegetable garden and let it compost over the winter? Is there any toxicity in pecan leaves?