Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to put a barrier inbetween my lawn and my side yard where we have quakies to keep the suckers from coming up. What can I use and how deep do I put it into the ground? Also, they are next to my neighbors driveway, how far do the roots travel and should I barrier that side as well?
Rate This FAQ
Installing barriers to try to stop Aspens from spreading is usually very impractical and does not produce a lot of control. The barrier may confine the root system but the roots may just grown down and around and up the other side. Aspen trees tend to produce the most suckers when they are stressed. To help reduce the amount of suckers they are producing focus on maintaining the health and vigor of the tree by watering deeply but infrequently, fertilizing when needed and disturbing the root system as little as possible. In addition, avoid pruning the trees as this will also increase the amount of suckers they produce. I have included a link to a document that has some information on deep watering trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?
- We are putting in a backyard with grass seed instead of sod. I am wondering if we need to add lime to our soil to change the pH and also what types of grass work best in our area. I assume that Kentucky Bluegrass would be best, but should I get a mix or just the Bluegrass? Are certain brands better than others?
- Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- My new austrian pines planted in the fall are looking pale in color and a lot of needles have fallen off. Also, my older austrian pines are looking the same way. What do they need? The soil has a lot of clay and is quite alkaline. My new spruce in the same area is doing great. What do the pines need?
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
- I planted my vines mid may before the endless rains. Now many leaves are turning black in spots. Will this correct itself as things dry out and warm up?
- We live in a suburb near the mountains and have a lot of deer wandering through our neighborhood eating our flowers and vegetable gardens. They are not afraid of people and walk through our backyard any time of day. What can we spray on the garden plants to stop them from eating them?