Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
Rate This FAQ
As flour ages it loses its protein content, similar to whole wheat. When that happens the gluten content goes with it. It is the gluten that allows the loaf of bread dough to be more elastic and rise when the yeast is at work. So……….a dough enhancer, a gluten flour, or a dough pep are the answer to bringing the gluten content back up—just like with whole wheat that is old. These can be found in most supermarkets—or places like Kitchen Kneads. One that is probably the most popular is Vital Wheat Gluten.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
- I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- Is it save to eat weevil?