Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
Rate This FAQ
As flour ages it loses its protein content, similar to whole wheat. When that happens the gluten content goes with it. It is the gluten that allows the loaf of bread dough to be more elastic and rise when the yeast is at work. So……….a dough enhancer, a gluten flour, or a dough pep are the answer to bringing the gluten content back up—just like with whole wheat that is old. These can be found in most supermarkets—or places like Kitchen Kneads. One that is probably the most popular is Vital Wheat Gluten.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
- How much food should I store?
- I've read that dry pack food storage products expire within x amount of years depending on the product. My parents purchased a LARGE quantity (over 100 cases of #10 cans) of assorted dry pack 28 years ago from Desert Supply Company; wheat, cornmeal, powdered milk, eggs, instant potatoes etc. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with throwing it all out. Can you please confirm that this is wasted product or is there anything salvagable.. and if so for how much longer would it be good? It has been stored in a dry/dark cool basement.
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.