Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
Rate This FAQ
As flour ages it loses its protein content, similar to whole wheat. When that happens the gluten content goes with it. It is the gluten that allows the loaf of bread dough to be more elastic and rise when the yeast is at work. So……….a dough enhancer, a gluten flour, or a dough pep are the answer to bringing the gluten content back up—just like with whole wheat that is old. These can be found in most supermarkets—or places like Kitchen Kneads. One that is probably the most popular is Vital Wheat Gluten.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- How much water should I store?
- I've read that dry pack food storage products expire within x amount of years depending on the product. My parents purchased a LARGE quantity (over 100 cases of #10 cans) of assorted dry pack 28 years ago from Desert Supply Company; wheat, cornmeal, powdered milk, eggs, instant potatoes etc. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with throwing it all out. Can you please confirm that this is wasted product or is there anything salvagable.. and if so for how much longer would it be good? It has been stored in a dry/dark cool basement.
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?