Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have black spots on my tomato plant leaves and some on the main stem. Will it kill the plant? Can I get rid of it? Will it apread to the soil or other plants? HELP. I see it in most of the greehouses I have been to. Is it to late to find someone with a place to find a clean tomato plant and still plant it and get fruit?
Rate This FAQ
Black spots on your tomato leaves and stem could be a fungal disease. These are commonly called leaf blights or leaf spots. Below is a link to a picture of what the symptoms of this disease typically looks like.
These diseases are promoted by cool, wet conditions like we had this spring. Fungal diseases can spread but there are a few things that you can do to help keep it under control. If there are only a few leaves on your plants that are affected you can remove and discard them. In addition, water early in the morning so that the leaves of the plants will be dry before nightfall and let the soil dry out in between watering. There are fungicides that can be applied but all will have restrictions on how many days between application of the fungicide and when the fruit is safe to eat. If you choose to use one make sure to read the label and follow all of the directions carefully. As the weather clears up this problem will decrease. I have included a link on growing tomatoes that has more information.
If this does not look like what is happening to your tomatoes you can bring a sample into our office at 2001 S. State Street #S1200 and we will help identify the problem.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Just moved to where we have a very large backyard. I want to plant a large variety of fruit trees, but I don't know what will grow well in this climate. What types of fruit grow best in the Salt Lake area? (eg peaches, apples, nectarines....?) And which kind of each fruit would you suggest? I'm also new to this, so where should I go to buy the trees and find info on how to grow them correctly?
- I recently (spring 2009) planted a globe willow in Herriman, altitude 5300. I was told by an arborist that it should be okay as there are other successful globes in the foothills of the Quirrahs. It has now got leaves (May 2009) but they are getting yellow towards the mid to top and I suspect iron chlorosis. This is yellow, not the beautiful light green as usual.It gets good water and sun. It was planted with mixture of native clay, potting/planting soil and mulch including "mike" a good microorganism suggested for good plant rooting. Should I give it a dose of iron or let it be? Or us this normal? Help!
- Our lawn is very bumpy and hard to walk on. Are the quaking aspen tree roots doing this? Should we aerate the lawn or does this cause more problems with the roots?
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.
- How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?
- Now that the snow has melted off our lawn, we notice there are winding "trails" through the grass. One of the trails goes from a patch of vince major ground cover, across the grass to another patch of vinca major ground cover. It looks like something has pushed up the black plastic lawn edging enough to crawl underneath. There is no soil excavation on top of the lawn; only tunnels through the grass. We've never had moles or voles before that I know of so I don't know what habits they have. Do you think it could be a mouse or maybe a mole or vole? What's the best way to get ride of it?
- We have a scrub oak that has been growing between a pine and an aspen, which has made the oak very lop-sided. The aspen is gone now. How much purning can we do to the oak to try and even it's growth?
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?