Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have an 11 year old sugar maple. For the past few years the leaves have been getting more and more yellow. I bought an iron product, read the directions, and sprinkled it around the base. Instead of turning green the leaves are still yellow and small brown spots all over them. Help!
Rate This FAQ
It appears that the tree is suffering from iron chlorosis. Enough iron is present in the soil, but it is in a form the maple is unable to uptake. Conditions that make iron chlorosis worse include excessive irrigation and cool, moist weather. There are no simple solutions to treat the problem. It is best to plant species that are more adapted to our soil. However, a soil application of chelated iron containing EDDHA as soon as the snow melts off or at least before the tree leafs out in the spring is a good option. Other forms of iron (EDTA or iron sulfate) generally are bound up in the soil too quickly to be effective. This type of treatmetn is good for one year only.
If this does not correct the problem, trunk injections are another option. They can last 2-3 years but injure the tree somewhat.
Keep in mind that treating iron chlorosis can be tricky and success is not guaranteed
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My peach trees seem to have something sappy oozing from the trunk, somewhere between the middle and top part. I thought borers were usually at the bottom of the trunk. Is it a spread of borers?
- We created square foot gardens last year and have discovered the cat has used them for a litter box over the winter and spring. There isn't a large amount of feces,which we remove, but we are concerned that it may have contaminated the soil. Should we dig it out and start over?
- It looks like something has bitten off whole leaves and blossoms from my tomato plants. They seem to be cut clean. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- i bought my house in november it had no grass just a huge goat head problem. I have burned, scraped, and sprayed a couple of times. Three weeks ago I planted grass seed, my lawn looks great thick and about 4 inches tall, but now I have goat heads growing all over. Do you think 2-4-D weed killer would work without hurting my lawn or do you have another suggestion?
- Our new home came with some juvenile trees and sapplings planted very closely together in one corner of the yard. Who can identify these trees for us, so we know which ones (if any) to remove/relocate?
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?