Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have two maple trees in my parking strip. I believe they are the Autumn Blaze variety. They have a light green to yellow small leaf. The leaves are starting to die as if it needs water. They are spotted and turning brown and brittle. The branches are still green when I scrape the them. I do not think it is under heat stress since June has been mostly wet. We spoke with someone who lives about a mile from us who had the same problem last year and now the top of his tree is dead. We did see two other trees in his neighborhood with the same problem. It looks as though next year we may have the same dead trees if we do not do something to prevent them from dying. Can you tell me what is wrong and what I can do to save the trees?
Rate This FAQ
There may be a couple of different things happening to your maple trees. The first possibility is a fungal disease called anthracnose. When we have long periods of cool wet weather, like we did this spring, fungal diseases can be more problematic. Below is a link with more information on this disease.
Fungal diseases usually start out as dark brown to black spots. These spots will spread and eventually grow together and in severe cases the leaves may die and fall off. Control of this disease isn't easy but there are some things that you can do to help your tree out. Make sure to pick up and discard any fallen leaves. This will help reduce the spread of the fungus. Also, when working around the tree make sure that the lawnmower and weed eater do not run into it and damage the trunk. And when watering the tree try to avoid getting water on the leaves. Below is a link with more information on watering trees.
You can also apply a protective fungicide spray at bud break and to the newly emerging foliage next spring. If you choose to use a fungicide make sure that maple trees are specifically mentioned on the label.
The second possibility is that your tree may have a disease called verticillium wilt. This disease is also fungal but the symptoms usually show up in hotter weather. The main symptom of this disease is that whole branches of leaves will suddenly wilt and dry up. Below is a link with more information on this disease.
If either of these options do not sound like what is happening to your tree or if you are unsure you can bring a sample of your tree into our office at 2001 S. State Street # S1200 and we will help identify the problem.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- i was baking a chicken casserole last night. the power went out after about 30 minutes of baking. i put it in the fridge. then, i cooked it for 1 and 1/2 hours more when the power came back on 3 hours later. i put it back in the frige. is it safe to eat tonight?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- I have space for 2 fruit trees in my yard. I would like to plant an apple (red delicious) and a peach (red Haven). Are these the best varieties for my area, and how about cross pollination. My neighbor across the fence has a peach tree and I have a crab apple near by.
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- About the end of July, some of my Hostas start turning yellow and eventually almost white. These get more sun that the rest. Is that the problem or do they need more fertilizer at some point.
- Why do we rake leaves? What would happen to my lawn and flower garden if I just left them on the ground and let the grass and perennials grow up through them? We currently mulch them with a mower and let most of them stay. Are we raising the elevation of our lawn? Are we doing good or bad to it?
- Our lawn is very bumpy and hard to walk on. Are the quaking aspen tree roots doing this? Should we aerate the lawn or does this cause more problems with the roots?
- Where can I get a chart that tells me when to plant vegetable or plants and also can you tell me how to plant blackberry and raspberry plants?