Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted my vines mid may before the endless rains. Now many leaves are turning black in spots. Will this correct itself as things dry out and warm up?
Rate This FAQ
Without seeing your plants it is hard to say for certain what the problem is but this sounds like it could be a fungal disease brought on by all of the rain and the cool temperatures. I have included a link below about growing tomatoes that has more information including control options of fungal diseases. I have also included a link with our most current small fruit and vegetable IPM advisory. This is a newsletter sent out via email that gives up to date information about problems specific to our area to look for in your garden. If you would like to sign up for this service click on the following link: http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
If you would like confirmation on the problem with your tomato plants you can bring in a sample to our office at 2001 S. State Street S1200.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My lawn has distinct areas that are brown next to healthy areas. The brown areas are covered in small holes.
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?
- I live in salt lake city, and have very hard rocky soil. I would like to plant a few varieties of trees for shade and decor (like to enjoy them in my own lifetime)I realize I'll need to excavate for good soil and root ball. Any suggestions?
- Your answer about watering wasn't specific enough for me. My tomatoes have always cracked and it wasn't until last year that I got the vague answer about uneven watering. Now I'm beginning to think that my gallon a day watering of my one little plant was too much. I also have a drip system that waters three times a week just under the soil at the base of the plant. Should I stop being a helicopter mom and leave it just to the drip system? My plant is a foot high, been in the ground with lots of organic material and has a few small tomatoes. Please tell me how much and how often to water.
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- The leaves on our maple tree get little spikes on the top of it and then dry up and fall off. Can you tell me the problem and how we may solve it?
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?
- I have red raspberries that produced very well this year. But now the old canes have turned yellow, brown and crispy. Is this normal or do I have a virus in them? Do I prune out old canes now or in the spring? And can I transplant starts to a new patch or should I buy new plants?