Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Whenever I go into the supermarket in the summer time I see people picking out watermelons and talking about bee stings as indicators of a good melon, but I thought bees only sting when threatened and that the sting contains a venom. Is there any correlation between the marks on watermelon and bees? Adam
Rate This FAQ
When folks refer to bee stings, they are refering to marks on a "ripe" melon that resemble a bee sting that unripe melons dont have. Bees do not sting watermelon. A way to determine ripeness is by the look of the melon. When ripe, it should not be shiny but have a duller appearence. It also should not have any white color but creamy yellow and green instead. Especially where the melon rested on the ground. When tapped, the melon should not have a high pitched sound.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
- I would like to find out where I can obtain a list of the daily rainfall/precip totals for the Logan area.
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?
- I've just moved here from Maryland and I'm starting to landscape our yard. I've noticed that none of my neighbors use mulch in their flower beds. Why is that? I thought mulch helped to keep the soil moist as well as keep out the weeds. Plus you can till it back into the soil in the fall for aeration.
- My new lawn I had hydroseeded last year went to seed this year and and is still looking poorly is there anything I can do to bring it back to looking good again?
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?