Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have several ornamental trees such as flowering pear and cherry, they have holes in the trunk and are weeping in some places.We are trying to save them, we have sprayed them with imidan for a couple years and it has'nt taken care of the problem. It would be horrible if they were destoyed. Do you have any suggestions that would help. We also have several fruit bearing trees that we don't want infested. I understand there is better spray out there but you have to be licensed, I'm not sure how much time these trees have, but we'll do whatever we can.
Rate This FAQ
If you are sure they are borer holes in the trucks, the imidan you have been spraying on them is not the best product for borers. I would suggest you use something link Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Insect Control. It has a systemic insecticide called 'Merit' that should work better for you than the Imidan. You can find it at most Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes stores.
Most borers are host specific and don't cross over to other trees. Your best line of defense is to keep your fruit trees healthy and happy and to follow the spray guidelines for fruit tree spraying on our website found at the following link. http://extension.usu.edu/boxelder/htm/fruit
Please call or email me if you have other questions I can answer.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?
- I have a young (~3 year old) brown turkey fig. I planted it last fall and it survived! the winter. It is producing small figs now but the leaves have a brownish gray powdery looking substance on them. It doesn't rub off but looks like powdery spots. Any clue what it might be or what I should do? The leaves remain green and look healthy. This appeared after the recent heavy rains.
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- My husband mistakenly put fertilizer with a broad leaf killer in it on our garden. Is there anything we can do to grow things this year? Everything has died sadly.
- I had to cut down a large Globe Willow tree in my back yard as it was growing into the power line. I have heard that it is dangerous to burn the wood from a Globe Willow in a fireplace as it emits toxic fumes. Is this true?