Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have several ornamental trees such as flowering pear and cherry, they have holes in the trunk and are weeping in some places.We are trying to save them, we have sprayed them with imidan for a couple years and it has'nt taken care of the problem. It would be horrible if they were destoyed. Do you have any suggestions that would help. We also have several fruit bearing trees that we don't want infested. I understand there is better spray out there but you have to be licensed, I'm not sure how much time these trees have, but we'll do whatever we can.
Rate This FAQ
If you are sure they are borer holes in the trucks, the imidan you have been spraying on them is not the best product for borers. I would suggest you use something link Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Insect Control. It has a systemic insecticide called 'Merit' that should work better for you than the Imidan. You can find it at most Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes stores.
Most borers are host specific and don't cross over to other trees. Your best line of defense is to keep your fruit trees healthy and happy and to follow the spray guidelines for fruit tree spraying on our website found at the following link. http://extension.usu.edu/boxelder/htm/fruit
Please call or email me if you have other questions I can answer.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a red Haven peach dwarf peach tree. It is really not growing as tall as advertised. If that is the case and we plant a standard size can we count on it not getting as tall as advertised? What are the best peach trees for Utah. I know our zone Starks have a few trees that are very hardy but they really don't brag about the taste and quality of the peach. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
- What is the cost for a soil test?
- We don't have morning glory in our lawn, but it is taking over our strawberries. Is there anything we can do? If we decide we'd rather get rid of the morning glory instead of saving the strawberries, will roundup get rid of it?
- We would like to plant a pasture (about 2 acres). We would like one that creates sod, like a lawn, rather than a bunch grass. It will be used to hold a hillside and eventually to graze a few animals. We could cut it for grass hay also. What would be the best varieties of seed to use for a pasture like this?
- What is a good fertilizer schedule?
- I would like to plant some fruit and nut bearing trees to assist us with our food supply. Are there some trees better than others?
- My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?