Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have several ornamental trees such as flowering pear and cherry, they have holes in the trunk and are weeping in some places.We are trying to save them, we have sprayed them with imidan for a couple years and it has'nt taken care of the problem. It would be horrible if they were destoyed. Do you have any suggestions that would help. We also have several fruit bearing trees that we don't want infested. I understand there is better spray out there but you have to be licensed, I'm not sure how much time these trees have, but we'll do whatever we can.
Rate This FAQ
If you are sure they are borer holes in the trucks, the imidan you have been spraying on them is not the best product for borers. I would suggest you use something link Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Insect Control. It has a systemic insecticide called 'Merit' that should work better for you than the Imidan. You can find it at most Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes stores.
Most borers are host specific and don't cross over to other trees. Your best line of defense is to keep your fruit trees healthy and happy and to follow the spray guidelines for fruit tree spraying on our website found at the following link. http://extension.usu.edu/boxelder/htm/fruit
Please call or email me if you have other questions I can answer.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.
- I want to plant a lilac hedge. I've never done lilacs before - how far apart should I plant them? Can I do a double row for a thicker hedge? If so, how far apart should the rows be? How fast do they grow? Do they need special care (they will be pretty close to a fairly busy road)? Can I plant them now, or should I wait until it's a little warmer? What are their fertilizer and water requirements? Will they be useful as a bit of a wind- and soundbreak? Thank you.
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- We planted some scrub oak plants a few years ago that we got from a nursery. Although they come back every year they never get any bigger. They are still the same size as when we planted them. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it take off?
- When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
- We don't have morning glory in our lawn, but it is taking over our strawberries. Is there anything we can do? If we decide we'd rather get rid of the morning glory instead of saving the strawberries, will roundup get rid of it?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?