Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My newly sprouted green bean plants are getting small to medium holes in the leaves. Could this be from pests or the heavy rain in East Millcreek?
Rate This FAQ
The holes in your bean plants could be from insects or rain or both. Newly sprouted leaves are especially tender and when we receive heavy rain they can be damaged quite easily. If the damage was from the rain the newest leaves that emerge should not have any holes, if you see holes on new leaves produced after the rain start looking for insects that may be feeding on your plants. If it is insect damage and once the insect has been identified you can then choose an appropriate control method. Below is a link specifically on growing beans that has more information.
Another resource you may want to consider is signing up for our small fruit and vegetable IPM advisory. This is a newsletter sent out via email that gives up to date information on specific issues or problems, including insect activity, for our area to be looking for in your garden. If you would like to sign up for this service click on the following link: http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have varmits that are ruining my lawn during the winter (under snow). They make trails and destroy the lawn about 4 inches wide. I can find no holes only the trails and dead grass flipped to the side of the trails. Any ideas? We are going crazy trying to figure this out. We have never had this problem until last year.
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- Please Help, my blue lake pole beans are not producing like they should, the blossoms are not sticking and those that do have matured into flat stringing beans or Big hard ones with white fuzz around the middle of the seed inside please help me I need my beans.
- When is the next date for spraying apple trees for codling moth?
- I have a Saucer Magnolia Tree. I purchased it about 4 years ago, every year I see no growth. It has bloomed every year. But it just seems like I would see some growth? This year the leaves are yellow. I have a picture. Am I missing something? What can I do?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?