Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a concord grape vine on our fense and our neighbor has a large woodpile near it. The wood pile is a home for hornets which eat our grapes before they are ready to pick. What is a safe way to get rid of the hornets in the wood pile?
Rate This FAQ
I would suggest that you use a wasp and hornet trap. Begin early so that the population of hornets doesn’t get so large. The wasp or hornet species you have will determine the trap that you will want to use. Please see the attached Utah Pests-Newsletter and look at the article 'The Right Trap for the Right Wasp'.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?
- I have spider mites on my IIiamna rivularis. It looks like I also have spider mites on my Mirabilis jalapa. I don't remember of having any problems with growing Mirabilis jalapa before. They have always been an easy plant for me to raise. I have read the article on spider mites and I am wondering if I should just let them go or buy an insecticide like Bayer Advanced 3 in 1 Insect, Disease and Mite control. The spider mites are taking over my yard.
- We found (we think) a black widow spider in our home last night. It is completely black with a red hour-glass shape on its belly. We are concerned that there may be more of them in our home. I normally am opposed to using chemicals to get rid of spiders or insects, but in this case I think there is a bit of a health risk. I am particularly concerned about the safety of my children whose ages range from 9 months to 5 years. What can I do to get rid of any other black widow spiders that may be in our house, besides trying to keep corners clean, etc.?
- Every spring I get larger black ants coming into my house mostly in the kitchen. I also see them outside the house and climbing around the base structure. I have determined that they are not termites. I tried using a bate last year but unlike all of the smaller colonies of ants that I gave the bate to (which I haven't seen in the house only in the driveway and sidewalks) which immediately started loading it up to take back to the nest, these ants weren't interested. Is there a reason? What kind of ant might they be and therefore what kind of bate do I need to use?
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?
- I live in Bloomington Just south of Saint George, Utah. About a week ago I noticed hundreds of little greenish/yellowish flying bugs. Like I said they have been here about a week and they are not going away. I have lived in the area for about six years now and have never seen them before. Do you have any idea what they are and how I can control them? Regards Randy
- I have a big problem with a little pest in my house. I would call them fruit flies, but they don't hang around fruit. They mostly bug me as I sit here at this computer, and often times in the bathroom by the mirror. How can I get rid of these tiny flies?
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?