Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
Rate This FAQ
Keeping birds out of your cherries can be a real challenge. Here are some things that other people have tried with mixed results.
Pest Netting - Smaller trees can be wrapped in netting. It is very effective until the tree grows so big that it becomes impractical to cover it.
Aluminum Pie tins, shiny mylar strips or other reflective objects on strings - its an old favorite but birds catch on to it pretty quickly. Noise Makers- Anything that is loud and sporadic will startle the birds. This is also a potential problem for your neighbors.
Fake Predators - Plastic and blow-up owls and snakes.
Utah County Extension
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last year when I was about to harvest my corn from my yard I found that something got to about half of it before I did. I don't think it was insect because of the nature of the damage; I suspect birds. On the ears in question the husks were literally shredded and each kernel picked out. I know there are blue jays nesting in the area but this was the first time any thing like that happened. I don't think it was a mammal since the stalks were intact and not collapsed from the weight of what got at the ears that were devoured. Do you what causd this to happen? Is there something I can do to prevent that from happening this year? Thanks
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- Please Help, my blue lake pole beans are not producing like they should, the blossoms are not sticking and those that do have matured into flat stringing beans or Big hard ones with white fuzz around the middle of the seed inside please help me I need my beans.
- Why do we rake leaves? What would happen to my lawn and flower garden if I just left them on the ground and let the grass and perennials grow up through them? We currently mulch them with a mower and let most of them stay. Are we raising the elevation of our lawn? Are we doing good or bad to it?
- How can I get rid of Bur Buttercup? We have tried poisons over the past few years with little result. This year we tried a pre-emergent with little to no results. What can we do do get rid of them?
- Last year in June or July pesticide (Ortho Home) was used all over my yard...and in my garden. I didn't realize the dangers of pesticide, until after it had been sprayed/poured all over. Is it safe to plant a vegetable garden this year, or is the pesticide still present in my garden? Is there a way to get my soil tested to make sure it's safe? Thanks, Brandi
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?