Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
Rate This FAQ
Keeping birds out of your cherries can be a real challenge. Here are some things that other people have tried with mixed results.
Pest Netting - Smaller trees can be wrapped in netting. It is very effective until the tree grows so big that it becomes impractical to cover it.
Aluminum Pie tins, shiny mylar strips or other reflective objects on strings - its an old favorite but birds catch on to it pretty quickly. Noise Makers- Anything that is loud and sporadic will startle the birds. This is also a potential problem for your neighbors.
Fake Predators - Plastic and blow-up owls and snakes.
Utah County Extension
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- Our blue spruce has been around for 30 years. but the new buds have no needles and they are brown. Even up the center of the tree is brown with no needles. My father has put a bed of rocks around it and I am not sure if it is affecting it. We also had two crimson maples and they lost all of their leaves half way through summer. This year there are no leaves at all. Do the trees have disease?
- I just bought some property with what I think is a Bartlett pear tree. The tree seems to be in good condition but the fruit skin develops a coarse brown covering. What causes this?
- What of the drought grasses mentioned Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideouts grama grass, would most likely trigger allergy issues? Which one the least? Where to buy? Plant as sod? May we have instructions on "planting," care and maintanence, please?
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- I want to plant a lilac hedge. I've never done lilacs before - how far apart should I plant them? Can I do a double row for a thicker hedge? If so, how far apart should the rows be? How fast do they grow? Do they need special care (they will be pretty close to a fairly busy road)? Can I plant them now, or should I wait until it's a little warmer? What are their fertilizer and water requirements? Will they be useful as a bit of a wind- and soundbreak? Thank you.
- My green peppers have black at the stems of almost every branch. Is there anything I can do to save them?