Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
Rate This FAQ
Male clones of cottonwoods should not produce cotton- only the female trees produce the seeds ("cotton").
Sometimes you will hear of cottonless cottonwood trees later developing cotton but they were probably mislabeled.
Some hybrid cottonwoods sold are listed as "sterile female hybrids." These are not cottonless because they are not male. The "sterile" refers to the fact that the seeds they produce are incapable of germinating. However, they still produce the cotton to distribute the seed.
If you have a cottonwood that produces cotton and you don't want to cut it down, you can use Florel to prevent cotton development in female trees. You will need to check the label to see when to apply it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The leaves on my snowball bush are withered and the flowers almost nonexistant. The neighboring lilac doesn't look to good either. What could be causing this problem.
- I would like to prune my lilac bush. What is the best time of year to do so and how much can be cut back and not harm the bush?
- I have a Bartlett pear tree that has black spots on the leaves and holes chewed on some leaves and a few curled up leaves. Could you tell me what to spray for these problems?
- How do I get rid of the Quaking Aspen suckers that are coming up in my lawn without hurting the trees or the grass?
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.