Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
Rate This FAQ
Several things can make holes in the bean leaves, the most common would be the Mexican bean beetle. The bean beetle looks like a yellow/tan ladybug with black spots. Look for the adults as well as the yellow larvae and yellow eggs masses on the undersides of the leaves. You can smash them or apply a rotenone or pyrethrum dust. Ask your favorite nursery what they have for the bean beetle. If you don't see any evidence of the bean beetle, you may have earwigs. They too will eat the leaves. You don't usually see the earwigs as they feed at night. The nurseries carry earwig baits. If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
- Your answer about watering wasn't specific enough for me. My tomatoes have always cracked and it wasn't until last year that I got the vague answer about uneven watering. Now I'm beginning to think that my gallon a day watering of my one little plant was too much. I also have a drip system that waters three times a week just under the soil at the base of the plant. Should I stop being a helicopter mom and leave it just to the drip system? My plant is a foot high, been in the ground with lots of organic material and has a few small tomatoes. Please tell me how much and how often to water.
- Do you have the names of companies or individuals who spray fruit trees in the spring and summer to prevent bugs and disease?
- Do you have any suggestions as to where to buy or how to make a truly sturdy tomato cage? The "standard" metal ones I have bought at garden centers have always tipped over when the plant has gotten big.
- My peach trees seem to have something sappy oozing from the trunk, somewhere between the middle and top part. I thought borers were usually at the bottom of the trunk. Is it a spread of borers?
- Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- My new lawn I had hydroseeded last year went to seed this year and and is still looking poorly is there anything I can do to bring it back to looking good again?