Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
Rate This FAQ
Several things can make holes in the bean leaves, the most common would be the Mexican bean beetle. The bean beetle looks like a yellow/tan ladybug with black spots. Look for the adults as well as the yellow larvae and yellow eggs masses on the undersides of the leaves. You can smash them or apply a rotenone or pyrethrum dust. Ask your favorite nursery what they have for the bean beetle. If you don't see any evidence of the bean beetle, you may have earwigs. They too will eat the leaves. You don't usually see the earwigs as they feed at night. The nurseries carry earwig baits. If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last fall I planted a 4-foot tall Arizona cypress (Blue Ice) in my yard. I bought it from a local nursery who assured me it was cold-hardy enough for this area, but by this spring most of the needles on the upper 2/3 of the tree had turned brown. The lower needles that were beneath the snowpack for most of the winter are still green. Is there anything I can do to help this tree recovery (or should I find a different tree that's more cold-hardy)?
- i bought my house in november it had no grass just a huge goat head problem. I have burned, scraped, and sprayed a couple of times. Three weeks ago I planted grass seed, my lawn looks great thick and about 4 inches tall, but now I have goat heads growing all over. Do you think 2-4-D weed killer would work without hurting my lawn or do you have another suggestion?
- I have been told by a tree care company that my ash trees are infected with bores. They can be treated, and the trees should survive. Though my internet research I found ample information on emerald ash bore, however, that the research was largely on trees in Michigan. Would I have emerald ash bores, or do another type of bore exist in Utah? The tree care company suggested treatment in the spring, and another in the summer. Does that sound appropriate?
- The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?
- My Black Walnut tree is leaking sap terribly. What's wrong?
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- How do I eradicate an OLD ivy? This has a trunk like a small tree and vast growth on a wall. I'd like to put in a carport and have been hacking at this ivy but am concerned it will grow back. Can I paint the cut trunk to stop re-growth? Would a copper nail kill it? Thanks!
- I have several burning bushes and every year they start out great in the spring but later spring the leaves turn yellow, I have been adding iron to the soil around them and it seems to help a bit but it still happens every year. Could it be something else?