Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
Rate This FAQ
Several things can make holes in the bean leaves, the most common would be the Mexican bean beetle. The bean beetle looks like a yellow/tan ladybug with black spots. Look for the adults as well as the yellow larvae and yellow eggs masses on the undersides of the leaves. You can smash them or apply a rotenone or pyrethrum dust. Ask your favorite nursery what they have for the bean beetle. If you don't see any evidence of the bean beetle, you may have earwigs. They too will eat the leaves. You don't usually see the earwigs as they feed at night. The nurseries carry earwig baits. If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What night-time temperatures are too cold for "tender plants" such as tomatoes, squashes, annual bedding plants, etc.?
- What is the best thing to do with seedlings that are too tall for the seed starting kits? I have cauliflower and tomato plants that are 'leggy' and now too tall, but not yet ready to go outside. I received last week an advertisement about that hybrid zoysia grass that needs little watering and little mowing. Is that for real and if so, would it work in our climate? Supposedly it is cold hardy to -30. If I think that I there are gophers in my yard, what is the best way to eradicate them?
- I have a huge weeping willow in my front yard. My next door neighbor swears the root system has invaded her septic line. She had a globe will previously taken out that was about 10 feet from her main water line while my weeper is about 30. My own line is about 15 feet from the weeper. Is there any validation to her statement?
- I have a red photina thats leaves, in part of the bush, seemed like they were burnt. Is it a disease that these bushes can get? If I cut it back all the way, will all of the bush come out of it or should I get rid of the bush? The photina next to it is just fine.
- When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
- I have a relatively young peach tree which just split down the middle today, I'm assuming due to the weight of the peaches. I have cut off some of the branches and removed some peaches to help lighten the load. I called a nursery and they said in addition to doing that I should bring the branches back together and secure them together in attempt to save the remaining peaches. Then this fall I need to completely remove the partially broken branches. My questions for you are: Is this tree salvageable if I cut off 2/3 of its branches and will the peaches I've taken off ripen under any conditions?
- What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
- About the end of July, some of my Hostas start turning yellow and eventually almost white. These get more sun that the rest. Is that the problem or do they need more fertilizer at some point.