Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a large, old walnut tree in my front yard. The bark on the east/northeast side of the tree is separating from the trunk. Is this a sign of disease or other problems? And can I peel the bark off the tree or will that hurt the tree?
Rate This FAQ
There has been some reports of Walnut Twig Beetle and canker diseases on walnut, however the bark peeling usually is on the south west side of the tree. Don't know without photos or other information what the cause of the peeling bark. Do not peel off the tree, more injury may occur and generally not recommended.
Here is a link to Utah Pest Newsletter on Walnut diseases. See the feature article and see if it matches the problems you are having with your walnut tree. Go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/files/uploads/UtahPests-Newsletter-Fall08.pdf
We also have Plant Pest Diagnostic Ask a Master Gardener clinics in Salt Lake County every Monday from 1 to 4pm for the months of June, July and August in our USU Training Room, 2001 South State RM S1008. You can bring in photos or samples of your plants and have volunteer Master Gardeners help advise you.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a red Haven peach dwarf peach tree. It is really not growing as tall as advertised. If that is the case and we plant a standard size can we count on it not getting as tall as advertised? What are the best peach trees for Utah. I know our zone Starks have a few trees that are very hardy but they really don't brag about the taste and quality of the peach. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
- I would like to prune my lilac bush. What is the best time of year to do so and how much can be cut back and not harm the bush?
- What is the cost for a soil test?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?
- I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
- What is the best thing to do with seedlings that are too tall for the seed starting kits? I have cauliflower and tomato plants that are 'leggy' and now too tall, but not yet ready to go outside. I received last week an advertisement about that hybrid zoysia grass that needs little watering and little mowing. Is that for real and if so, would it work in our climate? Supposedly it is cold hardy to -30. If I think that I there are gophers in my yard, what is the best way to eradicate them?
- I have old cottonwoods in my yard. Vines are growing up about 5-6 feet on them (honeysuckle, ivy or virginia creeper) They are dying about on a year for the past 4 years and I lost another one this summer. Are the vines killing them or could it be the age of the trees?