Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a large, old walnut tree in my front yard. The bark on the east/northeast side of the tree is separating from the trunk. Is this a sign of disease or other problems? And can I peel the bark off the tree or will that hurt the tree?
Rate This FAQ
There has been some reports of Walnut Twig Beetle and canker diseases on walnut, however the bark peeling usually is on the south west side of the tree. Don't know without photos or other information what the cause of the peeling bark. Do not peel off the tree, more injury may occur and generally not recommended.
Here is a link to Utah Pest Newsletter on Walnut diseases. See the feature article and see if it matches the problems you are having with your walnut tree. Go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/files/uploads/UtahPests-Newsletter-Fall08.pdf
We also have Plant Pest Diagnostic Ask a Master Gardener clinics in Salt Lake County every Monday from 1 to 4pm for the months of June, July and August in our USU Training Room, 2001 South State RM S1008. You can bring in photos or samples of your plants and have volunteer Master Gardeners help advise you.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We would like to plant a pasture (about 2 acres). We would like one that creates sod, like a lawn, rather than a bunch grass. It will be used to hold a hillside and eventually to graze a few animals. We could cut it for grass hay also. What would be the best varieties of seed to use for a pasture like this?
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- We have a scrub oak that has been growing between a pine and an aspen, which has made the oak very lop-sided. The aspen is gone now. How much purning can we do to the oak to try and even it's growth?
- We have about 6 pine trees (blue spruce) in our yard and we have noticed that this year they are loaded with pine cones. Does this mean anything? We have looked on the farmers almanac thinking that it must mean we are in for a hard winter, or something in that nature, but have been unsuccessful in finding the answer. Do you have any information why the trees are loaded with pine cones?
- When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?